Thread: Two Basic Spacecraft , Looking for feedback.

Wip Two Basic Spacecraft , Looking for feedback.

Hey all. Looking into running a hard sci-fi / cuberpunk game in the future using Savage Worlds so I decided to try my hand at making some "battle maps" that fit in that context. These are supposed to be 'FTL style' cutaways to the interior of the ships, and were done with GIMP and a keyboard and mouse (hence the crappy shapes).

First is a small freighter of sorts, scale is a bit off and I never rendered the grid for some reason.

Second is a basic shuttle/landing craft inspired by the 'Raptor' from BSG, and would be launched from the cargo bay of the freighter.

Any feedback or thoughts on how I could improve upon them are welcome.

Real nice looking texturing. The simplicity of the designs doesn't seem to leave much room for mechanisms and more tactical combat, what role will these maps play?

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Real nice looking texturing. The simplicity of the designs doesn't seem to leave much room for mechanisms and more tactical combat, what role will these maps play?
    To be honest, they're simple because I had trouble finding any sci-fi mapping elements. I have tons of fantasy elements like crates, tables, chairs, beds ect that I've collected from people more talented than myself, but I can't find anything like a computer console or a control panel. As for their purpose, I guess the intention was for ship to ship combat against something else of similar design (again, in FTL style), though it was more an exercise to see if i could do something sci-fi orientated if I wanted to but It's proving much more difficult than fantasy.

Certainly more varied texture work and elements than fantasy (the more advanced we get the more junk we seem to collect). You have very good texture work, adding some simple effects to your layers can give you a lot of furnishings. CGTextures has some screens and controls that you could adapt to use for your needs. I wouldn't let the learning curve throw you off, get a few completed maps in the style under your belt and they will seem a lot less daunting.

In order to best use the space inside the ship, I would think that compartments near the hull would follow the shape of the hull instead of always being rectangular.

You're missing a mess and recreation area for the crew, unless that's a part of the area you've labeled "life support." I think it's a little peculiar that the only access to the ship's controls is through the life support area, again unless that's also the mess. "Bath" should probably be "head" if you want a nautical term. Or you could do something like the Traveller RPG, which uses the term "fresher" for a combination shower/sink/toilet unit.

Think about access to the ship. I don't see any sign of an airlock or a way to get cargo into the ship. At the moment, I am presuming something like a large cargo elevator—maybe the entire floor of the cargo bay drops for loading, or maybe there's an underside ramp, like the Millenium Falcon.

I wonder if a freighter would devote so much space to gunnery. Nixing the guns would give 50% more volume for cargo, which I imagine would be pretty significant on a small craft like this one. Of course, more cargo space doesn't matter if you get shot down on your way to deliver it, so that's going to depend on the environment in which the ship is employed.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    All good points! There was virtually no 'design' phase for these as I just started making them without any planning, and now that you make mention of it, it does seem pretty apparent. I had made all the shapes and rooms before I even started thinking about what they were going to be, aside from the cockpit. There are a lot of things such as access corridors and the mysteriously missing mess hall that I didn't consider. I had intended for the cargo bay doors to be on the "top" of the ship, the section that is "cut off" to give a look into the interior.

Thanks for response and the feedback, Next time I'll take more time in designing the layout.

Oh, also 'head' or 'fresher' certainly sound nicer than 'bath'.