Thread: World map WIP, near completion, need advice

Guild Apprentice

Wip World map WIP, near completion, need advice

Hello all.

This is my latest masochistic effort, a world map that depicts a bazillion cities (I counted). It's meant to be a sort of proof-of-concept map, just so I can learn Fractal Terrains (and keep honing my PS skills as well) and convince myself I can complete something this complicated. I would really appreciate any feedback, so let me know what changes or additions you'd like to see. I'm thinking a North arrow, and a scale bar, and perhaps a key to the topography colors...

As always, thanks to everyone here, because without this community, I'd still be doodling rubbish.

Will
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cities of the World.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	28048  

Looks good to me
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far.

In addition to the items you mentioned (scale, compass rose, etc.), for me the colors for the higher elevations are a bit to muted and could be darkened up a bit.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member Facebook Connected cjs0216's Avatar

Personally, I would clean up all of the little tiny period sized islands, unless of course you meant to leave them in. And I agree with the General...you ought to make the elevation colors darker.
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it as is, shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Looks good to me
    Thanks!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Looking good so far.

In addition to the items you mentioned (scale, compass rose, etc.), for me the colors for the higher elevations are a bit to muted and could be darkened up a bit.
    Agreed. That's going to be a lot of work, but I think it's worth it. Perhaps brown for the mid elevations and gray/white for the highest? For some contrast? Thanks for the input!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by cjs0216 View Post
    Personally, I would clean up all of the little tiny period sized islands, unless of course you meant to leave them in. And I agree with the General...you ought to make the elevation colors darker.
    I suppose it's strange there are no little islands in the middle of the oceans and seas, so you may be right about erasing the ones near the coast. I do like them, though. They add to the verisimilitude, for me... And yeah, you and the General are right about the elevation colors. I was lazy with them. Thanks for the opinions!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like it as is, shrug.
    Thank you! You wouldn't even add the items I mentioned, though? Is the map getting too cluttered?