Thread: WIP: Warm beds (small inn).

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default WIP: Warm beds (small inn).

Hello guys, it has been a while, but I have been away on Holiday and then had to build myself a new computer to replace my aging laptop.

Anyway, here is my latest project. It is the top floor of the inn my players have become regulars at. It is called "Warm bed", an inn described in "Volo's guide to Waterdeep".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Warm Beds.png 
Views:	926 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	51697

I have not yet started on illumination and shadows but, I suppose, most of the furniture are in place (I now remember I'll need to add a curtain in the lower right room).

The balcony on the right is actually the roof of a different building, albeit, the route of entry of choice for any would-be assassin (*wink, wink*). It is a bit flat right now, maybe shadows will help giving the impression of a difference of height between the two...

As always, the art comes from the Dundjinni forums...

And, of course, critics and advices are welcome, nay: begged for.
    Last edited by Simon33600; 01-31-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Yeah, some shadows will help fill it out. Nice layout of the objects with one exception, the bed that is cut off at an angle bothers me. Move the door to the right and pull the bed out til it fits.

or make it a single bed like the room next door

I'll take the room with the fluffy feathery bed. =P

Nice work so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Yeah, some shadows will help fill it out. Nice layout of the objects with one exception, the bed that is cut off at an angle bothers me. Move the door to the right and pull the bed out til it fits.
    Really? I had a bed angled like that growing up.

It's great when spooning with your halfling SO...

I think I'll follow. Vellum's suggestion, though. From the description, the inn is supposed to have mostly shared rooms...
    Last edited by Simon33600; 02-01-2013 at 07:47 AM.

I've got a question here. Is this a second floor plan / ground floor plan? If this is a second floor plan, architecturally there is alot of wasted space in the "commons seating area". I think beds to earn income would be at a premium. As a suggestion you could move the horizontal wall upwards to give you the shared room condition in the lower to single bedrooms. Also you are climbing over the beds to get into them as the walls are so tight, you could use a tad more more, at least on one side to get into the bed. You could also have beds in the commons area, for overspill guests, like Orcs or loud snorezy folks. Still all in all this is looking pretty good, have a little rep!
    Last edited by Vellum; 02-01-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Well, Larb, here are a couple more fuzzy beds...

Quote Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
    I've got a question here. Is this a second floor plan / ground floor plan? If this is a second floor plan, architecturally there is alot of wasted space in the "commons seating area". I think beds to earn income would be at a premium. As a suggestion you could move the horizontal wall upwards to give you the shared room condition in the lower to single bedrooms. Also you are climbing over the beds to get into them as the walls are so tight, you could use a tad more more, at least on one side to get into the bed. You could also have beds in the commons area, for overspill guests, like Orcs or loud snorezy folks. Still all in all this is looking pretty good, have a little rep!
    Both are fair remarks.
    I did shrink the beds somewhat.

On the other hand, while it does make sense, a real inn would mostly be narrow corridors and smallish bedrooms, to maximize the number of rooms to rent. But, if I want to use this as a battlemap, such configuration means that only one or two characters can fight. This lead to a bottled up and a bit boring fight. More open ground means that the combatants can try to flank the fighters, or by pass them and run toward the squishies, this kind of things... Makes for a more interesting fight, which is my priority even before realism.

Still, the center of the big room does look kinda empty; I am thinking of putting something there, maybe an open fireplace that people could leap across...

Anyway, here are a slightly modified version. I am still not totally sure what to do with the lightning, most likely, I will darken the inside a bit and put some illumination...

Views:	255 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	51719

Ok; I did work on the shadows...

Views:	1217 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	51779

I kinda like the shadows from the window frames. I got the idea fro, browsing the Dundjinni forums where somebody had used it in some really pretty maps for a CoC game and thought it looked really cool!