Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC3/Forgotten Realms Undermountain II maps: Looking for a scalable background tile

Help CC3/Forgotten Realms Undermountain II maps: Looking for a scalable background tile

I've got a very specific request and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I've been playing around with developing dungeon maps in CC3 that mimic the style of the old 2e AD&D Ruins of Undermountain boxed set maps. Here's an example of what I've done:

Now, in the followup to that product, Ruins of Undermountain II, the maps are slightly different. Rather than being drawn over a black background, they are drawn over a black and gray tile that looks like pavement stones (two colors, black background with gray outline of stones).

I can't find an image of an UM II map online anywhere to show what it looks like (and my scanner is on the blink), but if anyone familiar with these maps has any idea where I can find a scalable tile of something similar, I would greatly appreciate it. Ideally, it would be a 1000 x 1000 pixel hig res image, preferable PDF, but I can easily convert to PNG if needed.

Thanks in advance - any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

A member of the CC2 Mailing List generously provided me with a PDF scan of a section of an Undermountain II map to show the background I'm talking about. Here is a link to a smaller JPG of that scan:

I have the larger scan he made available to me in PDF if there is a way a tile could be made from a larger version of the above image as well.

Hopefully this will make it easier to get help without requiring someone to own UM II.

As always, thanks for any help you can provide everyone!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

OK, you in a sense already have that fill style

That looks exactly like the fill style from the basic CC2 program, called PAVING, with the lines made a little heavier.

I am sure there is a way to make the lines heavier in the file style by making a new one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paving FillSyle.JPG 
Views:	2725 
Size:	372.3 KB 
ID:	1612  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    OK, you in a sense already have that fill style

That looks exactly like the fill style from the basic CC2 program, called PAVING, with the lines made a little heavier.

I am sure there is a way to make the lines heavier in the file style by making a new one.
    LOL - I *knew* I had seen something similar somewhere before! I'm going to play around in CC3 and see if I can duplicate it that way.

If anyone wants to try making a seamless tile for me though in case I fail, I'd still be happy to have one.
    jaerdaph

That pattern is what is known as a 'Voronoi' procedural fill.

Here is a 1024x1024 voronoi fill which I made using photoshop using the stained glass filter. I have a feeling that RobA used it to make a seamless city fill tile using the Gimp (which is free).

This one's not seamless though...I'll need to work on that bit!

Ravs

Name:	voronoi.png 
Views:	2710 
Size:	400.2 KB 
ID:	1613  

I tried to futz with the Paving fill in CC3 in the fill style box but I think I would actually need to edit the line width of the pattern at the base symbol level and then try to make it seamless at the thicker width, something which is beyond my skills at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This one's not seamless though...I'll need to work on that bit!
    Thanks for your help, Ravs.
    jaerdaph

Here's one that's seamless, but it's not quite there as it's got some broad lines in it...

Sorry...best I can do!

If you want to adjust line widths etc, you're going to need to use an editor like gimp or photoshop.

Ravs

Name:	bestys1.png 
Views:	2136 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	1614  

here's one i made up kinda quick using (as in the previous post) PS stained glass, plus a bevel

Name:	pavers.jpg 
Views:	947 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	1615  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Here's one that's seamless, but it's not quite there as it's got some broad lines in it...

Sorry...best I can do!

If you want to adjust line widths etc, you're going to need to use an editor like gimp or photoshop.

Thank you! I'll clean it up a little and give it a try.
    jaerdaph

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    here's one i made up kinda quick using (as in the previous post) PS stained glass, plus a bevel
    Thanks a lot töff - that's really neat too.
    jaerdaph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast