Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Island for a Campaing setting

Wip An Island for a Campaing setting

Well Hello together

As 4e D&D came out I decided it's time for a new setting as my old one was about 10 years old. In addition I decided to try to do it not with a pencil but to give GIMP a go.

Well here is how far I got till now. It aint perfect but I hope its ok for a first try.

Gotta have some problems how to add some forests in there, tried a few options but none did please me yet. Maybe someone got a nice idea for me

Anyways please drop a few comments what I could improve or what ye like so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nornland.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	5938  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Pretty nice start...

I would suggest you look at RobA's excellent tutorial on creating a regional map with GIMP. Its what I first started with a couple of months ago, and a great place to learn some tips and tricks that can be useful in other packages as well.

Oh...and welcome aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you Steel General

Well RobA's tutorial is great, but it wont help me with the trees as I dont wanna do them 'top-down'. Planned to do them like the mountains but those are much easier to do it seems.

I couldnt find a tutorial for drawing some nice trees/forests, are there any on this site?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    I couldnt find a tutorial for drawing some nice trees/forests, are there any on this site?
    I'm sure there is one or two on here somewhere, don't have time to look at the moment, but check the tutorial section again (if you haven't already).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    Thank you Steel General

Well RobA's tutorial is great, but it wont help me with the trees as I dont wanna do them 'top-down'. Planned to do them like the mountains but those are much easier to do it seems.

The video from Butch Currie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m4pDmxvnPU shows one style of forest that is quite easy to do. Don't know if that is the style you are aiming for...

-Rob A>

Ok got some more free time to play around with some forest ideas... In addition I noticed that a green background for the landmass wont work for hand drawing elements so I changed it.

So what you think about the forest? Does it fit?

Did add roads and a compass rose as well and started to name a few things.

Edit: ah and yes RobA, I did see the tutorial but I am not sure if its better than my try. What do you think about it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nornland WiP.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	6114  
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 08-21-2008 at 04:51 PM.

I think the forests fit really well, they might look even better if you varied the colours of the trees with some reds, oranges and yellows. I really like your compass rose too.

It's quite a nice map, although I'm just wondering what the town in the south is called...
    Looks like Nebelheim to me. A little similar to Nibelheim from Final Fantasy VII.
    Just letting you know, just in case there is someone who dares to accuse you. (I'm not).
    It's a very nice map though.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I think the forests fit really well, they might look even better if you varied the colours of the trees with some reds, oranges and yellows. I really like your compass rose too.

If using GIMP or Photoshop, I would probably go with a bit of burn and dodge myself to get some slight variation on each tree. Not doing the full tree, just like a splattering of burn/dodge on each. Alternately, since you shaded the mountains from the west.....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast