Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Battle of Calamocha

Default The Battle of Calamocha

Hello

This is the other map I have just made and that I wanted to show in the forum by now. (I hope in the correct forum )

Represent the minor battle that took place near the town of Calamocha between pro-Austria Dinasty and pro-Borbon Dinasty forces in the Spanish Sucession War. More than the battle, that is the excuse to make the map, I have wanted to test here some ways to represent the lanscape and relief.
    Would be important for me to know your opinion and critics if you want to make some.

The original is in spanish and I have traslate to english some names and the legend.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e0374045.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	45437

I enclose one photo of the landscape around the battle:

Name:	4c36ec7f.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	45439
    Last edited by Megahercio; 06-06-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Guild Journeyer

Very nice map with a nice feeling! I like it.

Have a rep!

That's a really nice map. I tried to look up the Battle of Calamocha because I was curious but I couldn't find anything. I assume it has a different name in english.

Hello Depassge and Larb, first thanks for give your opinion of the map.
    Sorry Larb, but I'm afraid a too small battle to be in english. Even the sources in spanish are minimal, four pages .You have the PDF in this link:

If you are very interested, I could traslate an make a Summary.

Anyway it could be englobe in a bigger one: The battle of Zaragoza. About this you have some information in english:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragossa

And there is too an interesting game board that you can download in this page (in spanish):
    http://zaragoza1710-2010.weebly.com/juego.html

I think Zaragoza or Saragossa is twinned with the city of Toulouse nowadays.

Regards

That is quite nice. You've got a unique style Megahercio.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

It looks like (1706) Calamocha is too minor to get a proper translation (though it seems where was a battle there in the 1100s). I cannot read spanish though (I only know a bit of french and latin) and I suspect online translators would do a terrible job. I wonder if the minor battles of things like the wars of the roses and such are also brushed over too by non-english historians. You can only translate so much, right?

A translated summary would be great though, I am a big history fan and mainly would just like to know the context of your fabulous map.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    That is quite nice. You've got a unique style Megahercio.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Hello Arsheesh

The style is inspired in this 1:25.000 military map:

Name:	7857d580.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	45452

This version is not the current you can find nowadays in book-shops, is an older version that I find more artistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    It looks like (1706) Calamocha is too minor to get a proper translation (though it seems where was a battle there in the 1100s). I cannot read spanish though (I only know a bit of french and latin) and I suspect online translators would do a terrible job. I wonder if the minor battles of things like the wars of the roses and such are also brushed over too by non-english historians. You can only translate so much, right?

A translated summary would be great though, I am a big history fan and mainly would just like to know the context of your fabulous map.
    Then, I understand you consider better a full traslation more than a summary. Well, I wait to be able to make it properly, give me time.

The battle you do mention in 1100 must be the Battle of Cutanda: Cutanda is a little village near Calamocha that has a castle.
    I think is very interesting the matter about languages you have mention. In a begining I learned french and latin too, but it changed to english halfway through. I was doubing to put the links and sources in spanish knowing it would be impossible for me to traslate all, but at last I thought would be worst to not put them.

I mean minor battle, the one that is not decisive in a campaing. This battle was the result of a "distraction" movement from Zaragoza to take off presure of enemy siege army over this city.

I really like this map. Your style indeed is unique. I would say that your creation is much more pleasing to the eye then the map you got your inspiration from I like the way you depicted elevations.Tthough at first glance everything looked inverted to me... I hate those optical illusions!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    I really like this map. Your style indeed is unique. I would say that your creation is much more pleasing to the eye then the map you got your inspiration from I like the way you depicted elevations.Tthough at first glance everything looked inverted to me... I hate those optical illusions!
    Hello Lyandra

Really that is not an optical illusion cause the nivel lines are inverted in this map if you accept the classical parameters.
    In this relief the nivel lines are right:

Name:	89337ea8.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	903.5 KB 
ID:	45477

But I wanted to make it that way to see what happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast