Thread: New to Battle/Encounter Maps

Wip New to Battle/Encounter Maps

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd get that out of the way.

I've done a lot of reading of tutorials, but none of them seem to be specifically for a battle map. I've tried to apply a couple of the simple processes to this simple map of a path through a forest, and I'm wondering what other techniques could be used to improve it. In my own view, the trees seem a little hedge-like, and though I like that the clearing has some texture, I'm not sure it's "grass-like".

To start, I use Photoshop. CS5.

For this map, I had a base layer of green, then a layer where I drew out the edges of the forest. Magic wanded and used paint bucket to fill with the "tree" pattern on a trees layer. Used the paint bucket to put a pattern on the base layer (forgot to create a new one, but I'm new, so it happens.) There was some smudging and some blurring.

Any suggestions?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RndJungleEnc03.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	63855

Hmm I shall endeavor to write a tutorial on battle maps in the next week or so. I've been meaning to get around to it. To start with I suggest playing around with the bevel effect for layers, its great to get familiar with. CGtextures is a great resource for backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Hmm I shall endeavor to write a tutorial on battle maps in the next week or so. I've been meaning to get around to it. To start with I suggest playing around with the bevel effect for layers, its great to get familiar with. CGtextures is a great resource for backgrounds.
    Thanks for the offer. I look forward to it. I also want to say that I really like the way yours turn out. I've been through your deviantart gallery. I'll see about toying with the bevel on my trees and see what I can do.