Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Realm of Asmerath

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Map The Realm of Asmerath

Ok here is a commissioned Map for an upcoming online Game, set in the Realm of Asmerath.
    It was quiet fun to devellop the style on the fly, while mapping. I have learned some new tricks and styles the last couple of weeks and bound them all into this Map.
    Hopefully there will be more soon to see of the new styles.

Comment & Critiques welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stregheria-Games-Promo-2.jpg 
Views:	2411 
Size:	930.4 KB 
ID:	46907  

Excellent map! I see you used the same wavy texture for the ocean that you used for your challenge map. I like the more subdued color of the water you used here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Excellent map! I see you used the same wavy texture for the ocean that you used for your challenge map. I like the more subdued color of the water you used here.
    Yes, i kind of like the backgroundeffect with the water. Basicly its a inverted Rusttexture set on Hard light. But this time I balanced the color more.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Looks good. I notice that right around the middle of the island, next to Valentair, it says "The Old Forst" instead of "Forest" Not sure if this is intentional, to give it a sense of whimsy, or if it's a typo.

Lovely work on this Schwarzkreuz, and congratulations on the commission.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    Looks good. I notice that right around the middle of the island, next to Valentair, it says "The Old Forst" instead of "Forest" Not sure if this is intentional, to give it a sense of whimsy, or if it's a typo.
    Forst is an less used term for cultured Forest in German. I also did insert therms Walde or Wald which means literally Forest. And Felde which means Field. The Map is inhabited by Dutch/German, Psydo-Norrdics, and Spains which explains my weird names through Cultural and literal assimilations

Oh well Forest is a quiet German word, Same As house and so on, trace of the last time the Saxons conquered britain.
    English was always a meshup Language from old German, Rome Latin, and some celtic snippets.

Guild Journeyer

I like the general feeling of it and the color choice. The wave pattern is very nice too...

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

I thought the same thing when I saw "Forst" and also saw "Wacht", then realised Schwarzkreuz was German and did a google translate and they translate directly into "Forest" and "Watch" (and clearly there's a germanic theme running through the map with some of the other names)

I think this is a beautiful map, incredible line work from start to finish. The only thing for me personally that I wasn't as keen on was the sea monster. Whilst in itself it's a great quality drawing, it looks a little bit TOO comicy to sit with the style of the rest of the map.

If an englisspeaking audience is constantly confused maybe i Should change it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast