Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyboria

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Default Hyboria

My next excursion into mythological landmasses after my Mu map, this time Hyboria by Robert E. Howard.
    I'll try to make this map in a similar painted style. Besides the movies I'm not very familiar with this universe, so if anyone finds a flaw in the design, please let me know. I use mainly this map as template:
    from this website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hyboria.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	38686  

Good subject matter here. Can't wait to see more!!!!

Is it just me, or does it look like the land mass is Africa + Asia with the mediteranian sea turned and moved(and india jutting down a bit further south than "normal").... anyway... sorry for the sidebar, I don't know anything about Conan's world history, so it could be entirely coincidental illusion.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This looks like a great start... can't wait to see more.

@JFjr - I think you are right, I remember reading somewhere that it was loosely based off the 'real world'
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    This looks like a great start... can't wait to see more.

@JFjr - I think you are right, I remember reading somewhere that it was loosely based off the 'real world'
    Interesting.... I did not know that...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, Howard made some references to real-world regions.

Basic colours applied.

Views:	368 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	38692  
    Last edited by Sapiento; 09-23-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Nearly every place in Hyboria has a RL historical counterpart; Khitai is based on China, Vendhya is India, the sea of Vilayet is the Caspian Sea, Zingara is Spain, etc etc. You've even got 'Iranistan' in there. Howard loosely imagined his world as our own about 10 000 BC, with all these great civilizations since having fallen but having a lingering influence on later cultures.

The map looks good, though I would like to point out that the coastlines of the 'reference map' you're using are in no way definitive, so you could have changed them around in making your own version. At least to me, the coastlines in your reference map of Hyboria were always just a little too familiar.

I believe that Howard was the creator of Conan the Barbarian. This series of adventures took place 12,000 years ago when the continents were somewhat connected. Hyboria was this place, and Conan was not the sweet natured bloke that Swartsnagger portrays. I started a map on this subject a couple years back. Great to see it brought back up here.
    http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Conancopy.jpg
    Last edited by porkenbeans; 09-23-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Actually Hyboria was not the place, as that is Earth, 12,000 years ago. It was the Hyborian Age - I've been 'corrected' on this before...

And its not supposed to emulate Eurasia, rather it is Eurasia with different sealevels than today - Conan's Hyborian Age is Earth, not 'like Earth' nor 'loosely based on Earth'.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Actually Hyboria was not the place, as that is Earth, 12,000 years ago. It was the Hyborian Age - I've been 'corrected' on this before...

And its not supposed to emulate Eurasia, rather it is Eurasia with different sealevels than today - Conan's Hyborian Age is Earth, not 'like Earth' nor 'loosely based on Earth'.

GP
    Correct. According to wikipedia it's around 40.000 BC.

More colour applied, more rivers, dunes and rough outlines for forests.

Views:	2303 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	38702  

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't believe that river which goes in a roughly triangular path from southafrica to cameroon - it crosses through a mountain. Now, in theory, that could be a valley, but it seems unlikely. Similar issue exists with the rivers north of the western tip of africa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast