Thread: Lands beaten by the cold winds...

Guild Journeyer

Wip Lands beaten by the cold winds...

I was a little sick these days and I had some time off everything...So I got my things together and started working on a map. This is a mountainous land (hope it shows) beaten by the cold ocean winds...

I just finished the Wilbur phase and began the editing in PS. I would like your opinion on the map, before it's too late... I think it looks a little flat, but I am not sure...So, expert cartographers I seek thy knowledge!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vkproc1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	10078  

Well, I'm not an expert, and I don't think it looks too bad at this point. As you said, it does seem a bit flat looking, but with a little more texture and, perhaps, a bit of shadowing you could give it more depth so to speak. The one thing I did notice, particularly at the upper-most elevations is that the terracing is showing through a bit. I'm not a Wilbur user, so I'm not sure what, if anything, could be done to fix it there. Certainly, however, there must be a way to work something up in PS (again, I am not a PS user so I can't be 100 percent certain). Still, not bad, not bad at all. My one question would be whether the points where the mountains run right up to the coast line are meant to be cliffs? If this is the case, it might go well if you can find a way to show that better.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's definitely coming along really nice, but I agree the mountains still seem a little "flat".

I'm not a Wilbur user either. Can you add a bit more color variation to help denote altitude changes? Or maybe it needs more "crunchiness"?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    It's definitely coming along really nice, but I agree the mountains still seem a little "flat".

I'm not a Wilbur user either. Can you add a bit more color variation to help denote altitude changes? Or maybe it needs more "crunchiness"?
    Isn't that word copyrighted by Cheetos? If it is, they need to give it up, cause I like that word!

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Since your using the Phorce, I'd suggest using the mountains in grayscale then hit it with the lighting effects filter...that'll crunchy it up quite nicely.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Thank you guys for your suggestions...

I will try some of these and see what I will come up with.