Thread: Dungeon a Day

Guild Journeyer

Post Dungeon a Day

I didn't see this elsewhere when I searched, so I thought I'd post it.

Monte Cook and Ed Bourelle (the duo who did Ptolus) have themselves a new website where they're putting together a huge dungeon. It's a pay site but there are a few sample maps that looked interesting.

http://dungeonaday.com/categories/SideViewMap
    http://dungeonaday.com/categories/Level1Map

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm a subscriber to the site and have to say that I am enjoying it a lot. It gets updated every weekday (an important caveat). The maps you see there are actually the only maps available right now, and there are no plans as I know it for encounter scale maps. To rectify this, I've knocked the whole level together out of dungeon tiles in maptool. This is available on the dungeon a day forums to any other subscriber. This serves the dual purpose of being fun for the game, but also worked as a great test of the tiles, and maptools capacity to handle large dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I'm a subscriber to the site and have to say that I am enjoying it a lot. It gets updated every weekday (an important caveat). The maps you see there are actually the only maps available right now, and there are no plans as I know it for encounter scale maps. To rectify this, I've knocked the whole level together out of dungeon tiles in maptool. This is available on the dungeon a day forums to any other subscriber. This serves the dual purpose of being fun for the game, but also worked as a great test of the tiles, and maptools capacity to handle large dungeons.
    Have you posted the campaign file somewhere or are you just exporting a screenshot?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

They should hire Turgenev
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

For that scale, certainly.

I have uploaded the campaign file to a hosting site and I've made the link available on the dungeon a day forums for subscribers. There are tokens on the map that contain the flavour text for each room and a hyperlink to the web page with the room details on the dungeon a day site. As a result, I'm not making this publicly available as that rather goes against the spirit of the site.

They are still short encounter maps, and I could stitch together exported screenshots of each room to give individual encounter maps, but that seems to be a bit too much work really. It takes a while to do that.

Guild Journeyer

I usually like to support efforts like this, but I haven't done so this time because I have enough adventure material to last to the planned end of my campaign and I'm going to switch up the genres after that. Though hopefully it’ll still be around when I swing back to swords and sorcery.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

I really like the look of your maps.