Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Free Isles - A regional map for a novel

Guild Novice

Wip The Free Isles - A regional map for a novel

Hello all. Here is the first draft of a map I've created for a novel that I'm in the process of writing. It was originally inspired by the old maritime maps in the style of Arabic and Turkish explorers, most significantly Piri Ries. It was created in Photoshop CS5, with a few of the elements done in Illustrator. The city/village illustrations are my own, but the ships used were generously given here by Juggernaut1981.

I've chosen to eschew any topographical representation on the map (aside from the waterbrush/gesture style mountains) to fit in both with the style and tone of the novel, since the map is one that is used "in-world" by the characters.

Thanks for taking a look!
    K
    http://illath.wordpress.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FreeIslesMap(web).jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	35708

(Newb question: how do I create a thumbnail for the above image??)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you upload the image to our servers it is done automatically. Nice map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    If you upload the image to our servers it is done automatically.
    Except when it doesn't work. When it doesn't, try again. Thumbnailing has been an on-going problem for awhile, so while "automatically" is technically correct, it is somewhat misleading.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the info! I'll try it again and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Except when it doesn't work. When it doesn't, try again. Thumbnailing has been an on-going problem for awhile, so while "automatically" is technically correct, it is somewhat misleading.
    I manually run a script to "fix" missing thumbnails every few days, so it will eventually happen "automagically"

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Thanks ravells. I struggled a bit with the mountains... it seemed that there was no good way to balance the opacity. I wanted them a bit darker, and it looked great zoomed in, but it looked way too busy zoomed out on the entire map, so the misty look won out!

PS thanks also RobA for the automagicus
    Last edited by keithrgordon; 05-26-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Guild Novice

So here is a little tweak I'm working with, just to give the map a little more depth and richness. Is it too much? Too busy? I like the airy feel of the first map, but it just seems a little bland.... Feedback/advice definitely welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FreeIslesMap(darker).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	337.2 KB 
ID:	36072

I definitely prefer the first one. That very simple mountain style works much better when it's faded out than when it's made bold and attention is drawn to them.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that if the mountains were smaller they might work. Of the two, the first, faded ones, look better for reasons Ravs stated.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast