Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sci-fi Map/Screen

Map Sci-fi Map/Screen

I got the idea to generate a random map then pixelize it to make it look hi-techy, and I wanted to see what it would look like.

I got a bit carried away on a simple "test"

The process I followed was:

- Render a random map.
    - threshold it to get nice continent shapes
    - pixelate it using 8x4 pixels (I liked the rectangles as they reflect the map proportions)
    - threshold it again to make the pixels black and white
    - blur it with a 4px radius blur
    - threshold a third time to get a "rounder corner square pixel" effect.

I saved that to a channel for masking, stoking, etc.

Then I went nuts (too much?) with a bunch of GIMP tech brushes I got from deviant art.

City icons were from that bulletball font I posted a while back.

The satellite traces were drawn in Inkscape as paths and imported into gimp and stroked.

It looked "nekid" without a border, so I made up a brushed aluminum looking frame, and added a few screws and keys to it.

Also threw in some scan lines, screen reflections, and some bg phosphor noise.

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sci-fi planet_scaled.png 
Views:	1115 
Size:	715.6 KB 
ID:	1395  
    Last edited by RobA; 11-08-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Changed Attachment (added pillow emboss to buttons, fixed the screws)

Great Bootfulls of Biscuits! That is amazing! And you say that was just playing around???? Sheesh!!!! Dang!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Praise That is cool!

The satelite lines really give this the sci-fi map of the world that you'd find at a control center, military HQ, etc.

I'm really going to have to study your steps, presented - I've got uses for maps like these!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

The fun thing is that if you have a "real" world map, you can turn it into something like the actual map portion quite easily.

-Rob A>

I felt an undeniable compulsion to click the buttons, even though I knew they wouldn't do anything. Nice work!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I felt an undeniable compulsion to click the buttons, even though I knew they wouldn't do anything.
    Hahaha! I DID DO IT!!!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Well done Rob! I think if you add a slight Pillow Emboss around the buttons they will appear to be a more integral part of the monitor.

For the record I didn't try to click the buttons, but that is because I've done way too many time on other images that I learned my lesson. LOL
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Well done Rob! I think if you add a slight Pillow Emboss around the buttons they will appear to be a more integral part of the monitor.
    Thanks!

And just for you I want back and did that (even though it *was* a finished map)

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast