Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playing with mountains

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Nope- no size jitter, no rotation jitter. Brush dynamics in GIMP are quite a bit behind photoshop (at least in some areas). Size jitter doesn't bother my that much, as you can tie size to tablet pressure, but no help if using a mouse.

It is pretty easy, however to create a custom brush that provides random size and rotation jitters...Just not as flexible.

-Rob A>
    Does it have to be done via an animated brush? I haven't tried my hand at that, yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Does it have to be done via an animated brush? I haven't tried my hand at that, yet...
    I would believe anything the GIMP guru says. RobA kind of told me how to do this in another post just a few days ago, and he used some of the same techniques in his post today to make the palm trees. From what I understand, you make 1 layer for each individual thing. So, if you want 10 squares at different sizes you make one per layer, set them all visible and save it as a GIMP pipe brush (or whatever). Then, when you select the brush, pencil, or airbrush tool and that "brush" as you stroke, it will cycle between the layers to spit out the image on said layer. Not easy, but it's once and done. If you want to test it, just to two layers with drastically different shapes or colored thingies and then give it a try. I hope to make a few copies with different colors of my hand drawn mountains in the next few days and post them up for everyone to use(assuming I get it done and assuming it looks ok).

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

One thing that is worth noting is that if the images in the brush are greyscale then they will draw the given image with the colour you pick for the brush. So a black circle will actually draw a red line if red is picked. Shades of grey going to white correspond to transparency for these brushes. Therefore you could create a greyscale mountain brush with different mountains in it. Then the user could paint with it with whatever colour they wanted - or even check the use colour from gradient button and pick a nice mountain gradient (say the default Gimp browns gradient) to draw mountains with a nice variation in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I would believe anything the GIMP guru says. RobA kind of told me how to do this in another post just a few days ago, and he used some of the same techniques in his post today to make the palm trees. From what I understand, you make 1 layer for each individual thing. So, if you want 10 squares at different sizes you make one per layer, set them all visible and save it as a GIMP pipe brush (or whatever). Then, when you select the brush, pencil, or airbrush tool and that "brush" as you stroke, it will cycle between the layers to spit out the image on said layer. Not easy, but it's once and done. If you want to test it, just to two layers with drastically different shapes or colored thingies and then give it a try. I hope to make a few copies with different colors of my hand drawn mountains in the next few days and post them up for everyone to use(assuming I get it done and assuming it looks ok).

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    One thing that is worth noting is that if the images in the brush are greyscale then they will draw the given image with the colour you pick for the brush. So a black circle will actually draw a red line if red is picked. Shades of grey going to white correspond to transparency for these brushes. Therefore you could create a greyscale mountain brush with different mountains in it. Then the user could paint with it with whatever colour they wanted - or even check the use colour from gradient button and pick a nice mountain gradient (say the default Gimp browns gradient) to draw mountains with a nice variation in colour.
    Cool. I will be trying this asap.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Oh DAMN! Rob told me this the other day when I was doing my hand drawn "V" mountains with the whole smudge thing and asked how to get it to pick a random series of images to paint, but it did not sink in what he said about the whole grayscale aspect.

Thanks for the follow up clarification Torstan!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is a tutorial I made a while back back on setting up a rotating brush (so it angles in the direction you paint). The exact same process for random, just pick "random" rather than "angular" in the Ranks section of the save dialog.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

From what I've gathered about GIMP is that you can paint with those tubes where you can use a series of different images as the brush tip shape...Photopshop can not do that, to my great chagrin. If it did my map making would not take so long. Paint Shop Pro uses tubes as well but I can't make it work right for me. I have GIMP but can't wrap my brain around it, sort of like PS when I first started that. So I would think that tubes would be the work-around for my PS techniques...I think it was RobA who just posted a palm tree tube today so that would be a good place to start. In the end, it was because I didn't have tubes to use that I made up my own technique...I love to fiddle. If anyone could adapt my techniques for GIMP they could get themself insta-rep for the tutorial. Hrm, maybe I should learn how to use GIMP more proficiently

Edit: Dang, 5 replies while I was typing all of this...maybe I should learn how to type more proficiently.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-27-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    OK-

Here is something I am working on.... The steps are all the same. The only difference is the start point. And this required NO "artistic ability" or hand painting/touch-up. There are still a few artifacts I am trying to figure out how to eliminate...

Attachment 4386

-Rob A>

Ummm you never showed us how to do this!!!! Please YodA, please???
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Ummm you never showed us how to do this!!!! Please YodA, please???
    I thought the same thing as I went back through these posts a few minutes ago for heathan666's post.
    Last edited by Karro; 10-14-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I thought the same thing as I went back through these posts a few minutes ago for heathan666's post.

Heh... while I am happy with my existing technique for mountains, I would still love to see any alternate methods, cause sometimes, you just feel like something different will work better for a particular map. Hopefully, YodA will show us the ways of the force....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast