Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April Challenge Entry - The Knowne World

Default April Challenge Entry - The Knowne World

I haven't entered a challenge in a while, and figured I'd toss by hat in.

Inspiration are a the maps of olde.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	known_world_white.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	23820

The Western Central continent will be the one I will detail out with labels and geopolitical borders. The Eastern Hemisphere I may end up partially erasing with warnings of "Here be Dragones".

If I get enough time it will be colourized a bit on old paper, something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	known_world.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	23821

What I won't have time for are fancy drawings around the border depicting scenes of drunken dwarves smashing beer mugs together and insets of the various location... (well, also because I can't draw.)

The mountains are done in a way I found on an old world map.... Looking for preference for having them following the meridians (western hemisphere) or straight (eastern hemisphere). Labels will all be curved along he meridians where possible.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Mighty nice start there, bro...even if ya won't get any graphics in the empty space.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well I say, if you can't get graphics in the margins let em burn...a tattered map rescued from a burning building makes a good excuse for not doing them. Perhaps after a month of deeper digging they may find another copy fully in tact, complete with fancy Sea Monkeys and whatnot around the boarders.

Definitely looking good so far.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member Facebook Connected A R Frost's Avatar

Really looking nice RobA. I like the style you going with. And the Sea of Foam is a perfect name. As always excellent work...
    In the words of Most interesting man in the World. "Stay thirsty my friends."

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice map indeed.

But my inner grammarnazi compells me to ask you;
    Is it your deliberate decision to write "Knowne" instead of "known" in the text? I thought that maybe the language on that planet is slightly different or something?
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma View Post
    Very nice map indeed.

But my inner grammarnazi compells me to ask you;
    Is it your deliberate decision to write "Knowne" instead of "known" in the text? I thought that maybe the language on that planet is slightly different or something?
    To be honest, I made a typo and liked the way it looked.

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

I think trim down the white space around, throw in a simple border and put some wood cut lines in to balance the piece. Of course legends, cartouches etc. can get pretty elaborate on that style of map.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The Western Central continent will be the one I will detail out with labels and geopolitical borders. The Eastern Hemisphere I may end up partially erasing with warnings of "Here be Dragones".

-Rob A>
    Wouldn't "Here be Prohibitionistes" be more appropriate?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast