Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map Resolution?

Post Map Resolution?

Hello again.
    What resolution (ppi) do you use for your world maps, regional maps and battlemaps? Also, when you create a new file do you choose 8 bit or 16 bit?
    Last edited by vhailor27; 09-15-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I've been using 300dpi. From what I've seen that's the most common round here.

I think my default is 8bit, within photoshop. I don't think I've ever run into a situation where I've personally needed to change that, others may have different mileage.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I pretty much use the same settings as Coyotemax mentioned, I do occasionally have to drop it down to around 200ppi (because of the boards upload limitations).

I've never had any reason to switch from the default 8 bit setting in Photoshop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

For most applications you don't need more than 300 ppi. If you don't intend to print your map, you can pretty much ignore the ppi and just work with pixel. But of course that's totally up to you. You can change the ppi-setting at any time and without any loss of quality: menu Image -> Image Size. When you do that, make sure, that "Resample Image" is unchecked.

8 bit color depth is enough for almost everything. Many programs can't even open or display images with 16 bit or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunduki View Post
    You can change the ppi-setting at any time and without any loss of quality: menu Image -> Image Size. When you do that, make sure, that "Resample Image" is unchecked.
    Actually I didn't know I can change it any time withou quality loss.
    The problem is that I would like to print the map for dnd game. So, I would be grateful if you could advice me with that in mind.

Redrobes thanks for your tutorial. I 'll read it tonight.

Thanks to the rest of you for your replies.
    Last edited by Steel General; 09-15-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The main thing about the bit depth is that PS can't even run most of the filters in anything higher than 8-bit...too much math to compute I guess. I only use 100 ppi for making my brushes, but for everything else it's 300.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The main thing about the bit depth is that PS can't even run most of the filters in anything higher than 8-bit...too much math to compute I guess.
    I'd guess they didn't design the filters with 16-bit color depth in mind and they would have to redesign every single filter to work in that mode. Highly efficient algorithms often only work for one very specific problem with very specific parameters. So the change from 8 to 16 bit sounds simple, but could be a real bitch.

Actually I didn't know I can change it any time withou quality loss.
    Yes you can. In short, ppi is only the ratio between two different image proportions: Number of pixels and printed size (ppi = pixel per inch). If you change the ppi and keep the number of pixel untouched (=uncheck resample image), the printed size of the image will change too.

The problem is that I would like to print the map for dnd game. So, I would be grateful if you could advice me with that in mind.
    In simple words: 150-200 ppi will work fine for you.

If you really want to be on the safe side and you are some kind of quality junky, use 300 ppi. But keep in mind, that images with high ppi can get pretty large in file size. Working with large images can be slow, depending on your hardware (cpu speed and especially ram).

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The main thing about the bit depth is that PS can't even run most of the filters in anything higher than 8-bit...too much math to compute I guess. I only use 100 ppi for making my brushes, but for everything else it's 300.
    Computers and Filters 101 ;-)
    in 8 bit mode, a single color pixel with RGBA or CMYK is represented by a 32-bit integer, 8 bits for each color. Using 16-bit color, you need a 64-bit integer. So, filters needs to need to be written for 64-bit math (which exists and is pretty fast) on 64 bit compatible processors, and much slower on CPUs where 64 bit math has to be done using 32 bit code instead of 64bit instructions.

Most vector instructions works with 128 bit data, so all vector code has to be redesigned as well, to only process half as much data at the same time. So you are right, filters needs to be rewritten.

cheers,

// Totte

I was told by a FedEx Kinko's Employee that if you are going to print your maps that 240ppi was perfect for their machines. Prior to that I always did my work in 300ppi, but ever since I've knocked it down to 240.

Their rationale was that anything over 240ppi would cause the ink to run together while printing at the native ppi. I have actually experineced that first hand, so I just always do it at 240ppi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast