Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 05] Charnok

Hi jfrazier, I've merged your thread with TM's thread (as you have taken Map 5 over from him).

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi jfrazier, I've merged your thread with TM's thread (as you have taken Map 5 over from him).
    Thanks ravells. I did not get a chance to do any real progress on the map this weekend like I had planned. I spent most of my free time playing with various map styles. I will most likely throw something together in Fractal Mapper over the next few days to get a general idea of the terrain features for myself and others and then determine a final map style at a later point.

I am currently thinking of doing a computer hand draw B/W style map, but not 100% committed to that as of yet. Mainly, I am thinking of a style somewhat like the map of Eltar by fragless over on Deviantart. Not quite sure if I have the artistic talent to pull it off though. I have some very nice ridgy looking mountains, but am having some trouble getting to go in more than left to right directions(top to bottom joining the left to right is where it's messed up) and still look good, so will be playing with that over the next few days. Failing that, if I stay on the B/W path, I may just end up doing some plain pointy triangles for the mountains with a bit of blending. Hmmmm... now that I think of it... with the barbarians and such... perhaps that's the best way to go I think. Much longer process in creating the map though....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Example images as promised

Blog Entries

In my quest to complete this map set making up Ansium this tile is the last so I submit this one as a render of it. I decided to go with plenty of snow cos there has been a lack of snow over ansium in general and this area is the highest of all the tiles. I set it up so it generated some nice glaciers and hanging valleys. I reckon this one looks pretty good and even better in 3D actually.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff RedRobes!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Cheers Steel.

It could do with some names and stuff extra so if anyone feels like adding to the map well that's the point of this CWBP so jump right in and edit it. Not that I think too many people would choose to live up there but white dragons have to live somewhere right ?

Redrobes,

I've spent the last hour or so doing up a regional thing for that little valley area, since it's probably the only really inhabitable area in Charnok. It's not finished, but I wanted to make sure it was ok with you before I posted it, just in case you had something else in mind for the area.

-IG

Blog Entries

Crikey, this is a throw away tile - you go as wild as you like !

I don't have anything in mind for any area at mo. I really ought to do a little more in Thrubland but I have been neck deep in things I have to do rather than things id like to do.

Oh and if you need the heightmaps etc then shout - I still have them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Crikey, this is a throw away tile - you go as wild as you like !

I don't have anything in mind for any area at mo. I really ought to do a little more in Thrubland but I have been neck deep in things I have to do rather than things id like to do.

Oh and if you need the heightmaps etc then shout - I still have them all.
    Well then, let's see if we can't make something of a throwaway tile then, shall we?

Here is what I have so far. I'll make a proper thread once I have a title for the valley. It should line up fairly well, though I've already forgotten the scale. I'm thinking 400 miles on a side? I don't know, you can remind me when you lay it on the big map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charnock region.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	19112  

Blog Entries

Well I have been working to 600 miles per side but in reality it would be smaller cos of its northerly latitude. Since my app is rectilinear and not capable of projections like Fractal Terrains then it does not allow for curved space maps.

I think we should have gone for an equal area map at the outset and then we would not have had so much problems.

Cool map BTW...

EDIT: Its about 300miles x just over 300mi. Heres a semi transparent overlay...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-01-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast