Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vault of the Future - Indoor, underground Bunker

Default The Vault of the Future - Indoor, underground Bunker

Hi guys

For my Wasteland/Falloutesque PnPRPG Campaign I need maps of a Vault. A Vault is an underground bunker complex with enough space to house approx. 1000 humans, supply them with food, entertainment, housing, medical support, security...
    The type of bunker I want has a large habitat area, a large water reservoir, food vats... and everything else needed to survival independent of the outside world.

I've made a sketch, on it you see the different areas I envisioned:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vault14-01.png 
Views:	2897 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	44076

Each section detailed above contains several floors, inside each section, the floors are similar. Maybe it would be best to make seperate maps for every section that I've noted.

The scale of the map... hrm, I don't know to be honest. Maybe you could give me some input?

Style

Ideally, the map would look like a technical drawing of a bunker, something like an architects plan. It can be quite sober, if that is even an english expression.

Quality & Size

I want to be able to print a floorplan on an A3 paper. It would be nice if it was still readable if printed on A4.

Payment

I will pay per section-map via PayPal. Please contact me, so we can fix a fair price.

Time Constraints

Two Months.

Copyright

Errr, something fair? Creative Commons?

Contact Details

onkl0r--at--gmail.com
    (remove the -- and convert "at" to @)

Quote Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
    Hi guys

For my Wasteland/Falloutesque PnPRPG Campaign I need maps of a Vault. A Vault is an underground bunker complex with enough space to house approx. 1000 humans, supply them with food, entertainment, housing, medical support, security...
    The type of bunker I want has a large habitat area, a large water reservoir, food vats... and everything else needed to survival independent of the outside world.

I've made a sketch, on it you see the different areas I envisioned:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vault14-01.png 
Views:	2897 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	44076

Each section detailed above contains several floors, inside each section, the floors are similar. Maybe it would be best to make seperate maps for every section that I've noted.

The scale of the map... hrm, I don't know to be honest. Maybe you could give me some input?

Style

Ideally, the map would look like a technical drawing of a bunker, something like an architects plan. It can be quite sober, if that is even an english expression.

Quality & Size

I want to be able to print a floorplan on an A3 paper. It would be nice if it was still readable if printed on A4.

Payment

I will pay per section-map via PayPal. Please contact me, so we can fix a fair price.

Time Constraints

Two Months.

Copyright

Errr, something fair? Creative Commons?

Contact Details

onkl0r--at--gmail.com
    (remove the -- and convert "at" to @)
    Just to clarify, for the style, are you wanting to stay limited to a technical/architectural diagram or would you be ok with something slightly more artistic(not overboard though)? Also, do you have any idea how many levels you want to incorporate or will that depend on the person to living area ratio? Part of that depends upon the personal space layout. ie, communal bath, do families stay together in one separated room, is it a gigantic dorm room with beds and little to no personal space, or perhaps more like some prisons where you have 1-2 per "room".

Also, from a technical drawing standpoint, do want all the trimmings such as power, data lines, water, HVAC, etc or just basic details such as what rooms are what? Also, are you set on the above layout from a general perspective? I would have some suggestions depending upon some of the overall details mentioned in above questions.

Depending on the details, I probably would offer to take this on and can come at a very inexpensive price overall just to get me something to do... On a side note, I have played Fallout quite a bit so am aware of the general layouts they typically take, but thats not a huge deal...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Just to clarify, for the style, are you wanting to stay limited to a technical/architectural diagram or would you be ok with something slightly more artistic(not overboard though)? Also, do you have any idea how many levels you want to incorporate or will that depend on the person to living area ratio? Part of that depends upon the personal space layout. ie, communal bath, do families stay together in one separated room, is it a gigantic dorm room with beds and little to no personal space, or perhaps more like some prisons where you have 1-2 per "room".

Also, from a technical drawing standpoint, do want all the trimmings such as power, data lines, water, HVAC, etc or just basic details such as what rooms are what? Also, are you set on the above layout from a general perspective? I would have some suggestions depending upon some of the overall details mentioned in above questions.

Depending on the details, I probably would offer to take this on and can come at a very inexpensive price overall just to get me something to do... On a side note, I have played Fallout quite a bit so am aware of the general layouts they typically take, but thats not a huge deal...
    Ah, damnit. I just lost a whole lot of text I wrote... Ok, let's try this again:

In my game, this Vault is inhabited by VIPs who brought their staff along, approx. 1000 people, all in all. The rich guys have more space, the poor guys have less space. The rich guys have several private bathrooms, the medium guys have 1 private bathroom, the poor guys have 1 huge bathroom and sleep together in huge areas... In my game world, the technology is more advanced than it was in the Fallout Universe, CRTs are long out of style. The Vault also actively enlarged itself.

I am not dead set for my side layout of the Vault. It's just something I quickly threw together. The layout should make sense though... unlike the setup of the Vault in the games Please feel free to make suggestions to the layout.

The Vault would have an approximate size of 3'600'000 square meter, all in all (1/4 of the Vault would be habitat; approx. 80 m2 per Person (Rich more, poor less), the rest life support, administration, production...). I would envision such a Vault to have several levels, one level would have about 5m of height.

There is one huge service elevator on the right and several smaller elevator for every day use inside the blue vault. The Purple Vault is a secret bio-weapon lab which does not need a map at the moment.

The more detail, the cooler a map would be. But since it will be a huuuuuuuge map, don't get stuck on details like power lines! Of course it would be cool to have all these nifty details, but I imagine it will take a lot of time to draw all these little things.

Also, I imagine several levels of the habitat would have an identical layout, saving time when drawing the map.

By technical I meant that it didn't need to be artistic. If you would like to make it a little bit more artistic, you're free to do so!

If you have questions, please feel free to ask me!

Thanks for interest!

Onkl

Thanks for the reply... it will help whoever takes the commission(even if it's not me). I have a few more questions which would relate(and perhaps you can think of some to fill in the story also).

I asked about families, but unless I missed it I did not see your reply.
    Length of stay? Of course, without families, well... only one generation will happen baring some type of extreme life span thingy or cloning.

I assume there will be a mix in economic status, but it would be nice to have a general ratio. Say for example, 20 or so "rich" groups of 2 adults and x-y children(are there any population controls in place??). Perhaps 50-100 or a bit more middle income and the rest living in general quarters? On a personal level(of which you are free to ignore), I would probably suggest something long the lines of 4 tiers:

• rich(people in charge.. perhaps 10-20 "groups" of 1-several people in a family unit)
    • high middle income(engineers, science types, mid management types) perhaps 50 families, so anywhere from 70-150 or so people to assume some single people or non child households...
    • low middle income(technical/tradesmen.. have some focused skills) everyone else
    • poor/laborer

Of course depending upon your tech level, perhaps the last category is done totally by robotics(janitorial stuff, low level security people, simple kitchen duties, etc)
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the reply... it will help whoever takes the commission(even if it's not me). I have a few more questions which would relate(and perhaps you can think of some to fill in the story also).

I asked about families, but unless I missed it I did not see your reply.
    Length of stay? Of course, without families, well... only one generation will happen baring some type of extreme life span thingy or cloning.

I assume there will be a mix in economic status, but it would be nice to have a general ratio. Say for example, 20 or so "rich" groups of 2 adults and x-y children(are there any population controls in place??). Perhaps 50-100 or a bit more middle income and the rest living in general quarters? On a personal level(of which you are free to ignore), I would probably suggest something long the lines of 4 tiers:

• rich(people in charge.. perhaps 10-20 "groups" of 1-several people in a family unit)
    • high middle income(engineers, science types, mid management types) perhaps 50 families, so anywhere from 70-150 or so people to assume some single people or non child households...
    • low middle income(technical/tradesmen.. have some focused skills) everyone else
    • poor/laborer

Of course depending upon your tech level, perhaps the last category is done totally by robotics(janitorial stuff, low level security people, simple kitchen duties, etc)
    History: Pretty much our world; but inflating conflicts and resource shortages as well as pollution. In 2077, 3rd WW destroys civilization as we know it. In 2177, nearly 100 years after the war, Overseer Whitman asks the best of the best of the best of the vault-dwellers to go out to seek a replacement for the waterchip that broke...
    Unlike Fallout, computerization was not retarded. Eg, the players "Pipboy" is a Rolex Explorer XXX, a precise Survival watch, integrated bio monitor gives Physician a bonus to diagnose patient wearing watch; GPS receiver (defunct), Inertial & Magnetic Compass & Map which gives a bonus to navigation, Beacon (10 km range) and a tiny computer with todays desktop performance and 10tb storage, as well as 2D 1 inch touchscreen, can be linked to another device.
    So the vault will probably also be a lot more modern than what you saw in the games. In some aspects, the techlevel is very advanced. There are plasma weapons, the vault is powered by a fusion reactor... that is like the games, it's just that IT is more advanced.
    Also, it would be nice to have some kind of 50s astethic, cause that was way cool in Fallout!

Back to your questions, I overread the family thing, Since they had to keep the population floating at around a 1000 people, they had strict family laws. Probably also enforced by parents who want their children not to marry "down".

I honestly didn't flesh out the whole breeding concept. I guess the Overseer would take control and that they probably have breeding cycles every 20 years. Should the quota of newborns not be met, the Overseer would probably invoke forced pregnancies.

Your 4 tier aproach is perfect. The numbers match as well! Thanks for that! And yes, the techlevel is high enough to have most jobs done by robots, but these need maintenance and rich people need servants.

So everybody lives a pretty decent life, compared to the outside, and Virtual Reality relaxation makes it possible to flee the Vault, if only for an hour or two.

Cheers

Onkl

Did you read the novel Wool? It's also set in Fallout bunkers and could offer you some good ideas for your game.

Hey, not quite sure where you want to go technology wise, but I could image a large hydroponics lab which spans all the levels(except the secret one of course). My thought here is a number of central cores. Imagine something like a grain silo with plants growing inward with stairs on the interior and a central column between the stairs acting as the source for photosynthesis.

Code:
    -----------
    |  -----  |
    | |     | |
    | |     | |
    |  -----  |
    -----------
    So using a the crappy above ASCII art, the central part would be hollow space with a spiral staircase for gathering purpose as well as a perhaps half meter column to use for growth lighting in the center of the stairway. Of course, this lighting would have to be turned down when harvesting(or you get a quick suntan....lol) Nutrients for the plants would come from reclamated waste water and as the run off water flows down the shaft it is again recycled from the bottom(drainage) to be re-used multiple times. I got this idea mostly from some show or magazine a number of years ago that was talking about using the outside of skyscrapers to grow food. The original idea behind which was to reduce pollution caused by shipping of produce as well as something about temperature controls inside the buildings(don't quite remember, but I think the idea was that the plants acted as a form of insulation for the building.)
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Do you have a real world locaton for the bunker?

Hey, not quite sure where you want to go technology wise, but I could image a large hydroponics lab which spans all the levels(except the secret one of course). My thought here is a number of central cores. Imagine something like a grain silo with plants growing inward with stairs on the interior and a central column between the stairs acting as the source for photosynthesis...
    Yes, this sounds brilliant for grain, fruit and potatos. Please include it.

When they eat meat, it's fauxflesh. By taking gen-engineered cells from livestock and supplying them with nutrients, a biomass of lean meat tissue is grown in tanks. It's harvested when needed or when it gets too big for the tank.

They will not be having livestock underground, maybe there will be a pet, a cat or a dog which a rich family had gen-engineered.

Does this help at all to show what techlevel they're on?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
    Do you have a real world locaton for the bunker?
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...8cde8d203ec934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast