Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Lands of Fagacea

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Looks good! ItS also Easy to see where the maps connect, its realy well done. If you use non repeating brushes, it would make the map even better.

Looks good to me!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Thank you for the feed back Schwar!!! I appreciate it!!

Guess it will be the next step or honestly i used the same brush, coz i will try use diferent ones for each regions to try pass the felling of different environments. i have to confess that i tried use a lots of brushes but not worked well

Do you have an graphic tablet?
    I did also upload lots of brushes in Elements section, maybe there are some interesting for you.

What is a Graphic Tablet? Is something like this?
    Name:  rascunho2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  6.1 KB

Yes i know ur brushes. I use one of your maps as my inspiration and ur brushes as reference to work, but u know, i need to do it and give my personal touch, so ur comment really helped me to think better and try to improve my map.

Since are u here, i want to ask a question that i posted in beggin of this thread, i still dunno how to use brushes like one olerlapping other, my bushes do not hide the others, like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duvida.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	50713

I want to know how do this (is a image that i found in a google seach)

Or i have to draw small sets of montains and get some diferent brushes to get this effect of perspective?
    Last edited by aquarits; 12-27-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Ok, at last i finished one realm, Fagacea, but guess i made a mistake. Easy to fix but guess it can change a lots of things.

The scale and the size of this realm... it became GIANT!!! is like 8,4k Km² of all place not counting the water terrain, if i do a better check, guess it is not lower then 7k Km².
    I used to check the distances using "days" as reference, and it gave that dimension. The population is cool, like 50k ppl checking all towns and workstations.
    I am trying to find a thread talking about this doubt coz i want to follow real proportions, if someone knows, tell me in case that i not find some.

Now i go to the next kingdom in north of this area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dist_Sul_Fag_final cópia.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	50717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dist_Pesca_Fag_final cópia.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	50718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dist_Central_Fag_final cópia.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	50720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fagacea_full_final cópia.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	50719  

Tutorial

Hi I did a small Tutorial for you.

Also, a graphic tablet is an electric tool to draw directly into Photoshop or whatever u use for drawing your map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aldebaran-Mnt.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	50741  

AHHHHHHHH MAN!!! So many tools!!!
    Thank You a lots for this... i was trying to find it for ages!!! Was thinking in a brush configuration!
    It Means that i have to redraw everthing hahahah

Just to finishing this, i have to let the file with the montains openned to keep clonning in my working file?
    Man, guess u have to publish this tuto in somewhere. i tryied to find something like it for a long time here.

and nope, i dont have a graphic tablet, i am still scanning or getting photos to can draon my sckeths
    Last edited by aquarits; 12-28-2012 at 07:40 PM.

I just have the Mountains on a layer inside the open file I am working with. and clone it from there. If they are in my way I just push them away in another corner I dont need. Like in my sample left the elements, right the Mountain clusters.

If you work from a scan, as i do mostly, you should try to turn all mountains in one swap to a big brush, than brush them to an empty layer, like this you have a clean drawing layer without any white and can start my tutorial, its much faster than trying to erase all white surrounding the drawing.

Have fun.

Blog Entries

A few criticisms:

That distortion and the graticules (the grids) look really wonky, Given the symbol style of the map, I think you should ditch the graticule entirely as it doesn't mesh well with that style. If you really want it, then it really does require some knowledge of projections and how maps represent a globe in order to get it to come out right. The details depend on where on the planet the map is, how big it is, and the purpose of the map.

The crumpled paper texture seems a bit excessive. Likewise the stone texture on the border. If you are aiming for something that looks like a map made "in character" you have to think about how and why the fictional cartographer would get the effects in question. Drop shadows imply that the map incorporates elements that hover over top of the rest of the map, which is odd to say the least. Relief in general is something you should think about carefully.

If you are just after a pretty picture and don't care about keeping it in character, you still might want to tone the effects down, particularly the relief and textures. They are a bit distractingly over-prominent. That sort of rough stone texture you use for the border is also a bit repetitive. If you want to stick with that look, it might be worth finding a larger texture to hide the repetition more.

The cartouche is a bit hard to read. The purple text doesn't contrast very well with the grey textured background.

Finally, it would be a good idea to make a more diverse symbol set to try to disguise the repetition of the symbols. I usually go with 7 to 12 variations on a symbol in my symbol sets.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast