Thread: Mapping Software Suggestion

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Question Mapping Software Suggestion

Hello, I'm new to the site, and I hope that I'm posting in the correct forum. If not, a point in the right direction would be much appreciated

I am looking for a quality mapping software that I can use to create somewhat large battlemaps, sized at 128x128 or 256x256 grid squares, for use in a VTT (not sure if linking to specific VTT's is frowned on here). Hoping for a good variety and quality of art for making the basic map itself - I can populate it afterwards with whatever decorations I want, but walls/doors/floors/etc should be native. Should be able to save the map as a jpg file, as well.

I read through the list of software sticky, and found two that came close: Dundjinni and the Online Dungeon Painter at Pyromancer website

I've used the demo for dunjinni, and it looks like almost exactly what I'm looking for - except for the map size restriction. This looked like it would be a non-issue in DJ2, but it seems that this project has been abandoned.

The Pyromancer mapper took care of the size restriction, but it isn't as robust or easy to use as Dunjinni.

Does anyone have a suggestion for software that they like to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion for software that they like to use?
    Campaign Cartographer with Dungeon Designer from Profantasy is another alternative: ProFantasy Software - Dungeon Designer 3 - map making for fantasy, modern and SF RPGs, and historical cartographers

Another option requiring more effort but more flexability (assuming you are making maps for your own use) is to just use any image editor software and the CUSAC object library.

-Rob A>

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks RobA! CC3/DD3 is where I am leaning once I can afford them, some of the posted work is just gorgeous

In the meantime, I found that using dundjinni to map out only a portion of the full map, then exporting that image into the VTT, then repeating this as needed will let me create the entire floor plan of the dungeon onto one "page"

(lol go rookie go!)