Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: October Entry: temple transformation

Nice shadow work!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Wip Just a few more details and I will be complete...

Damn I'm close to finishing this challenge.

I need to add a few more details: more trees and more variety of plants, crops in the fields on mostly surrounding monastery hill.

I need to add a graveyard, not sure whether to place it inside the compound, on higher elevation near the road or on the road bottom to the north. I want to add a water body, probably a small stream - then that's it.

I don't think I need to create a regional map - knowing the monastery is located in a peasant farming region with a road to "Lenska" whether that's a village, town or city is up to the writer I guess. This monastery grounds map and surrounding terrain should be enough!

Oh the elevation thing was an experiment. Sean MacDonald the cartographer for EN Publishing War of the Burning Sky, does something like this, I thought I'd try it out!

That's it until Sunday!

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monastery-grounds.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	850.6 KB 
ID:	1133  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip For all intents and purposes, I done...

For all intents and purposes, I say, "I'm completed with this challenge!"

I may yet create a regional map, before the month is out, but for mapping the location, structure and grounds, there ain't no more...

For Ravs, I added a version of the completed grounds, sans gridlines.

Of course any mistakes can still be repaired, so I'm not completely retired from this project.

Again, let me reiterate - the level I put in this challenge reflects me pushing the envelope in my map-making, trying to makeup (to cartographersguild) for inappropriate behavior earlier in the month, and to proving once and for all the value of Xara Xtreme as a fantasy map-making tool.

Regarding the level of work -- I thought it was kind of strange that two months ago, the challenge was "create a compass rose" (which was easy). This month, as far as I could tell was to create a map of the structure and surrounding territory - that's a lot to ask in comparison, but I'm always up to the challenge, any challenge!

Final WIP...

Name:	monastery-grounds.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	925.0 KB 
ID:	1134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monastery-grounds-sans-grid.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	735.6 KB 
ID:	1135  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Gamerprinter, for me I have to say that I like the outside map far more than the inside map, but overall you did a good job. Using 3D tools is always a huge asset when attempting photorealistic maps and you did a great job bringing that across.

/Thread derail

For my own purposes, and this really is for everyone, since I have been getting more and more into Virtual Table Top software of late, I would like to see more maps that are "agnostic" to the game system. What I mean by that is no grid. Grids just get in the way of using a VTT because VTTs have their own grid overlays usually. Also, if text could be removed that would be a great addition as well.

Basically two versions of the map are needed for VTTs. One complete (text and grid) and one clean (no text or grid). The complete one is for GM reference and the clean one is to play on.

Finally, all maps should be created at a scale of 200 pixels equals 5 feet. That will make it usable across almost every VTT with the understanding that some VTTs will need to rescale, but it is easier and cleaner to scale down rather than up.

/Thread derail

That said, I would love to eventually play on this map. *hint* *hint*

Can't wait to see what the others produce.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Info Mapping is usually simplification of reality, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Nice work GP...I'm also quite thoroughly impressed with the exterior map...The interior map shows a LOT of work done, but for my own tastes it may be a wee bit too texture heavy...I'm not saying thats a bad thing, as I'm more of a minimalist in my approach to mapping...I definitely agree that these would go really well with VTT.

As for the dpi/ppi/200 argument...there is no argument really...200 pixels per 5 square feet = 200 dpi scaled print for D&D size miniatures = good for everyone
    Mapping is usually a simplification of the reality of a given terrain, such that a reader of the map can understand what is going on, scale, etc.

A map is not a photograph of the ground - that is simply too complex for most to "read" and comprehend without other features like a grid determining scale, etc.

My interior map is photorealistic - that was completely an experiment on my part. Especially after I got started with the "mosaic in transition" I was kind of forced to complete the floor graphics equally throughout the interior map.

Is it heavy with graphics? Very much so - I hadn't seen too many maps in true photorealistic style, and I wondered if a mapper could make it work - this was my thinking in creating the map.

I prefer creating wilderness maps vs. interior maps, but the challenge involved a structure that was not my preferred epoch, style or location on the historic timeline. On my own I'd have never created a map of an orthodox church - all adding to this challenge to make it more challenging for me.

I think I pulled it off pretty well, though.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-14-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: missing "o"s...
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip I added a wider area map of St. Bes Monastery

I tried creating this map with CC3, then I tried using Fractal Mapper and neither could satisfy my realism bug, so I drifted back to Xara and tried again.
    I'm sticking with this version.

I used some of the terrain techniques I learned in my Veil Vale project.

WIP so far...

Name:	ostrovia.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	469.8 KB 
ID:	1210  
    DrivethruRPG store

I really like this map Gamerprinter. While I think that the cultivated areas could be blended slightly better with the rest of the terrain, overall I think it looks fantastic. There is an Eastern European mood to the whole thing. Also it actually looks like the photo that the challenge is based on. The colour pallete and the dark feel of the woodland areas really tie in with the photo.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

The southern edge of the river looks walled. Other than that it looks very good.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast