Thread: Creek Thingie in Vue

Post Creek Thingie in Vue

Working on using Vue 7 as one of my tools for creating battle maps for my game. I have been using RPTools for my virtual tabletop for some time and am trying to expand my tool set for mapping beyond CC3.

I saw "Some Creek thing" by jfrazierjr and was inspired to try and duplicate his excellent work using Vue. This is the result.

For anyone trying to duplicate the effect it is a ground plane using the default water, with three landscapes using the island ecosystem. I played around through several versions to get teh scale and lighting where I wanted it. It took several trys to get the water close to what I wanted. Anything with waves just did not look right, so this is what I settled on.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river intersection final.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	558.7 KB 
ID:	10762  

Quote Originally Posted by Poserfiend View Post
    Working on using Vue 7 as one of my tools for creating battle maps for my game. I have been using RPTools for my virtual tabletop for some time and am trying to expand my tool set for mapping beyond CC3.

I saw "Some Creek thing" by jfrazierjr and was inspired to try and duplicate his excellent work using Vue. This is the result.

For anyone trying to duplicate the effect it is a ground plane using the default water, with three landscapes using the island ecosystem. I played around through several versions to get teh scale and lighting where I wanted it. It took several trys to get the water close to what I wanted. Anything with waves just did not look right, so this is what I settled on.

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Wow.. I feel honored someone would take my doodle as inspiration. I know nothing abut Vue or it's capabilities. If you look at the link in my signature, I create a tutorial for GIMP and using both video and text showed how I made it by using Layer Masks in GIMP. One thing that I think really helps make my tutorial come alive is the shadows in the depth of the creek as well as the water going from solid to none as a gradient to simulate a shallow transition bank.

Anyway, nice work!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmm - I'll have to try and add that. I think if I change the water from an infinite plane to an object and add transparent water I can get that effect. I'll play with it. Thanks for the tip.