Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Caeruin XXL

Default [WIP] Caeruin XXL

Hey,

This is my actually project, I have been working now for one and a half year. Lately I am unfortunately becoming increasingly rare to exercise my hobby, and I sometimes think that I will put this map never finished. At this point I would like to present the current status of my map.

The map has a resolution of 12k x 12k px in the original and shows my world Caeruin, I'm working on just for fun.

It still lacks some text layers (in the south and the east) and of course, also want the mountains, rivers, lakes, forests, plains, counties, baronies and seas still will be described.

I often sit down, start Photoshop and open the map. But then I suddenly have a big motivation hole and close the map again disappointed. Perhaps that will change anytime, what I'm hoping for. If this happens, I will post my progress here, of course.

edit: see the 'finished' map here

Quabbe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caeruin-12.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	26429  
    Last edited by Quabbe; 08-23-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Wow, well, color me impressed. Don't worry--even if you never finish, you can die knowing that your work thus far has at least earned you some rep from me!

Some rep, def.
    Amazing map
    Drool worthy

I'm impressed, it's so huge! How'd you come up with all these towns and names and stuff? And the colour is awesome, I'd love to try something similiar. Would you mind explaining how you did that?

And, taking a closer look, I figured your names were German, which is funny cause I happen to speak some, and then I noticed you were from Essen, which is even funnier because I was born there (though moved away quickly). The world appears to be very small
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

I'm impressed, it's so huge! How'd you come up with all these towns and names and stuff? And the colour is awesome, I'd love to try something similiar. Would you mind explaining how you did that?
    How I did what? How I'd find the names? Well, this was by far the lions part of the work. I created many names in the last ten years in which I work on my world. And the rest ... if I needed a hundred new towns, I created several "???" textlayers and placed them where I wanted them to have. Then I doubleclicked each layer in the layer window and typed a few letters and word fragments... what I even could imagine... and let it sound like a city. When I was finished, I safed the map and looked on it at the next day, replacing those names I did not like anymore with new names that sound better. That's the whole story.

As for the coloring I can only say, that I'd use colors of the pastelspectrum (very low saturation, bright tones). I'd use mostly the same colors for strokes and contours (but a bit darker) - like trees with a dark green contour onto a green ground.
    And, taking a closer look, I figured your names were German, which is funny cause I happen to speak some, and then I noticed you were from Essen, which is even funnier because I was born there (though moved away quickly). The world appears to be very small
    Oh yes, it is. But you missed at least to live in the European Capital of Culture 2010, hehe

@ reckless & simpfan1: thanks for repping!

Quabbe

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is really quite nice!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This is seriously impressive. I love the antique, worn feel of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    As for the coloring I can only say, that I'd use colors of the pastelspectrum (very low saturation, bright tones). I'd use mostly the same colors for strokes and contours (but a bit darker) - like trees with a dark green contour onto a green ground.
    Oh yes, it is. But you missed at least to live in the European Capital of Culture 2010, hehe
    That's what I meant, the map style. That's the interesting part where artistic mastery can be achieved, to quote a former professor. The names are interesting, no doubt, but very subjective- the amount of work you put into a map is not. Did you follow any tutorials or simply start from scratch? And: How many hours did this take?

Well, I hope it deserves the name of European Capital of Culture! From what I heard, it doesn't seem to be the worst place to live in, but I actually like where I am now, Capital of Culture or no
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Me likey!

Very neat
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast