Thread: Continental Map - Feedback welcome

Guild Novice

Wip Continental Map - Feedback welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grande Continente - Canvas - WIP.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	39351
    Here's my attempt at a Continental map. Before I commit more time to it, I'd like to know if I'm on the right path or if I should modify something before it's too late.
    Marcelo Frossard Paschoalin
    Brazilian novelist and RPG writer

Hey Marcelo-

That looks quite nice!

The bevel around the coast is a little bit heavy, in my opinion. The colour is nice, and the sea is an interesting technique!

How did you erode the coastline?

-Rob A>

I can't view this file/attachement (always an error message) ... had to go to your homepage to view it. Looks quite nice. I do think that the continental-shape could have been a bit more interesting/divers...but that's always a matter of taste.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

What's the scale of this map? Some of the bits of this map might work if it was only ~1000km across, but at a "continental" scale look wrong; for instance, the channel splitting off the eastern parts (and don't call it a river, or the river police will be on you in seconds!). There's also a lot of roughly circular features of about the same size -- the northern atoll, the valleys immediately to the east and west of it, the valley in the southwest, the peninsula in the northeast ... even the bay in the west is the same width. (Not to mention the big lake, the circle of mountains on the eastern island, the inner circle of the star atoll...)

As far as the map itself goes, it looks good (even if the rivers are much, much too wide for a continental-scale map). But the sense of scale is wrong, and the fact that so many things are almost exactly the same size and shape strains credibility. (Or perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive.)

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hey Marcelo-

That looks quite nice!

The bevel around the coast is a little bit heavy, in my opinion. The colour is nice, and the sea is an interesting technique!

How did you erode the coastline?

-Rob A>
    Hi, Rob!

I see the bevel may be a bit too strong... I'll deal with this sooner or later.

The sea was made using a Solid Cloud effect paired with a Gradient fill from dark blue to light blue and, after that, applying a watercolor effect.

The coastline was eroded using Wilbur. It's the Precipitation filter if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I can't view this file/attachement (always an error message) ... had to go to your homepage to view it. Looks quite nice. I do think that the continental-shape could have been a bit more interesting/divers...but that's always a matter of taste.
    The map was not uploaded to my homepage. O.o If you can't view it, here's another place to see it: http://fermmoylle.deviantart.com/art...-WIP-264303405

Quote Originally Posted by gilgamec View Post
    What's the scale of this map? Some of the bits of this map might work if it was only ~1000km across, but at a "continental" scale look wrong; for instance, the channel splitting off the eastern parts (and don't call it a river, or the river police will be on you in seconds!). There's also a lot of roughly circular features of about the same size -- the northern atoll, the valleys immediately to the east and west of it, the valley in the southwest, the peninsula in the northeast ... even the bay in the west is the same width. (Not to mention the big lake, the circle of mountains on the eastern island, the inner circle of the star atoll...)

As far as the map itself goes, it looks good (even if the rivers are much, much too wide for a continental-scale map). But the sense of scale is wrong, and the fact that so many things are almost exactly the same size and shape strains credibility. (Or perhaps I'm just being overly sensitive.)
    About the scale: the star-shaped islands span for about 170km from north to south. I don't know if I can tell the whole map is at a "continental" scale or not considering this.

That channel is not a river, I know. ;-) But I insist the natives on the map call it a river anyway.

Now that you mention all those geographical features with the same size I see. I didn't notice those before... And as some of them were randomly generated by Wilbur, I'd say it's only a coincidence... Or magic, since this is the map of a fantasy world. ;-)

I don't think you are overly sensitive--I'm the one to blame if there are lots of things contrary to nature...
    Marcelo Frossard Paschoalin
    Brazilian novelist and RPG writer