Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Napoleonic World

Post Napoleonic World

Hi all,

I realize requesting a map on my very first post isn't the most polite thing to do, but it was why i found my way here after all.

I'm currently working on an online campaign game simulating the French revolutionary and Napoleonic wars. For this project, we are still looking for a decent map, containing provinces, cities rivers, mountains and the like.

I have a base map available in Adobe Illustrator which i can provide as a basis for someone to start working from.

I am a programmer, not an artist, & our artist is currently engaged in other assignments, so i'd like to ask if someone would be up to the challenge? drop me a line if so & we can work out the details.

cheers
    Badger

Napoleonic World

Ordinarily, being a wargamer and interested in military history (although more WW2 and ancients rather than Napoleonic) I would have jumped on this, but I'm far too busy at the moment, regretfully.

What sort of time constraints are you under? Are you looking for a particular style?

Welcome to the Guild, btw!

Cheers

Ravs

Thx anyway,

Not really under any time limit (yet) as this is for a hobby/casual project, not really defined a style just yet, though i included the current WIP website of the project. Something along the way of contemporary maps would be awesome, doesn't have to be color either, black and white (or sepia brownish) would fit perfectly. I'll see if i can find any examples.

On the side, i've been browsing throught this forum, quite some awesome work here, great job

cheers
    B

Hehe,

after browsing these forums & messing in Gimp for a while, i've started on a map myself, using mainly RobA's awesome regional map tutorial and some resources i found around the web.

This is what i got so far. i'm currently cleaning the rivers, the mountains will need some finetuning, but here it goes:

<added image as attachment>

cities will be drawn using some sort of vector drawing api on the final games website, but i'll be adding soem text as well later.

cheers & thanks for the great stuff on mapmaking here at the forum
    B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baseMountains.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	489.3 KB 
ID:	4869  
    Last edited by RPMiller; 07-05-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added image as attachment to save size

Good work. Napoleonics, been a long time since I played those kind of games.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That looks brilliant. Good work so far. I'll put in a small comment based entirely on regional bias. The mountains in Scotland are wrong. You have a small ridge down the East coast, which doesn't exist as far as I know, and no mountains in the highlands. I know the Scottish mountains aren't of the scale of the alps or the Atlas mountains but they do hit 1000m, and are larger than anything else on the British Isles. Otherwise, very pretty.

Cool, nice map.... is it just me, or does this map look familiar to anyone? I can't quite place it...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think it is the Semi-Farcical Amalgamated(almost) Union of the Euro.....
    just kidding, I really like it.
    SeerBlue

just had a thought, this would look real sweet with historically accurate forest coverage, especially for England.

Some early 19th century satellite coverage would be awesome for that purpose

Anyone know of any sources on that info?

@Torstan

Those scottish ridges are actually an artifact from importing DTM data for europe as the base layer for mountain creation. I had to scale & fit one european map on top of the other, & near the coast of the northern countries that match didn't quite turn out. I have no exp with rubber sheeting in Gimp (don't now if its possible) just used scale layer & moved it around manually to get a 'best fit'. You'll see the same stuff at the northern border of Denmark & the east sea countries. I'll be getting rid of those in a later stage

cheers
    B
    Last edited by Original_Badger; 06-26-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Some early 19th century satellite coverage would be awesome for that purpose

Anyone know of any sources on that info?
    Sorry, just sold my last copy a few days ago. They are so hard to come by, so I am note quite sure when or if I shall be getting more in stock.

But perhaps you would be interested in this sleeping parrot over here....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast