Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January Entry: The Lost Continent

Post January Entry: The Lost Continent

Right now this is gonna be a placeholder for my project

Heres a picture of a book while u wait

Last edited by bryguy; 01-12-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Great book!

I love the details - where'd you get those realistic textures?

LOL I found the picture on the web, and decided to be random and post the picture
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

Okay finally have my entry ready. Just for the heck of it, (mostly cause I feel like doing it) Im gonna add a backstory

Backstory:

Recently earthquakes off the coast of Australia have broken up some of the Great Barrier Reef. Soon after, couple of deep sea divers came across an old wooden chest, covered in gold, stuck under dead coral. Upon bringing it ashore, they discovered that its contents were ancient tools, silver and gold coins with strange markings, and a book, containing information of a lost continent. Nobody knows where the chest came from, but there are rumors of it being from a lost civilization. Scientists do not know the exact age of the chest or its contents, but they estimate it at being over 5000 years old. Australian officials are currently looking in to the authenticity of the items.

Not the best backstory, but I like it

Ive scaled down the image to 1000x1000 just to make sure it fits

Comments and suggestions are welcome

Crabs are from the Dundjinni forums

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookbig.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	9203  
    Last edited by bryguy; 01-13-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: forgot image... OOPS!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You latest WIP looks amazingly like your signature
    (yes I'm being a smart-ass, but all in good fun)

Did you forget to upload the file?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    You latest WIP looks amazingly like your signature
    (yes I'm being a smart-ass, but all in good fun)

Did you forget to upload the file?

yea it appears I did forget.... or hit the wrong submit button... I keep doing that

Guess I better upload it.. And I notice a couple of mistakes I made in my backstory...

I like the style so far, and I LOVE the backstory.

Hmmmm... maybe I should do a back-story...

This might just be me and my 2-3 years of conspiracy theory craziness talking, but Atlantish just sounds like somebody with a lisp wrote it instead of an alternate name. Also I don't think anyone's put Atlantis (gah, I typed Atlantish there, thank you!) near Australia before, but god knows there's hardly an official site for it.
    Ahem.
    As for the map itself, I think the book effect is very nice. If you're still looking to improve it, you could add some variety in the pages. Another thing is the map continues in a straight line past the center of the book. I'm not too sure if it should curve inward on a top-down view, but the image should be ... I don't know, pinched? I'm not sure how to describe this (or how to do it) but the page curves downward, so there ought to be a chunk of land 'missing' or distorted. I hope it's clear what I mean Another another thing is the shadow for the center of the book could be a bit darker.
    I think the wood could be a bit more on the yellow side of brown/orange/ochre, and maybe make the pattern a little bigger...

Anyway, I do like the map, please don't get me wrong. These are just some suggestions. I really like the idea though, and the book idea is pretty awesome and well done.

@--> MarkusTay

Thanks

@--> Rahva

LOL sorry about that, didnt mean to make u right Atlantish

and its actually Atlan Tish, just that may be hard to tell

Did I say that Atlan Tish was near there? All I said was that that was where the chest was found

Yea I was feeling lazy and just copied the same page alot of times. I may or may not try adding some variety to them.

Good eye catching that! I should have realized that the image would curve with the book! It will be hard to fix that, so I dont know if Ill be able to, as the picture is about 12 different layers, and for some if I merge them down they disappear.... Ill try my best tho

Okay sure I can try to make that darker, and Im playing around with the wood, as I dont really care for it as is.

Thanks Rahva

Edit: Oh and just to clear it up, this may or may not be Atlantis, and it may or may not be found on australia of our earth

Plz dont compare it to Atlantis
    Last edited by bryguy; 01-13-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post

Edit: Oh and just to clear it up, this may or may not be Atlantis, and it may or may not be found on australia of our earth

Plz dont compare it to Atlantis
    Alright, I'll keep my mouth shut about that You are right it's kind of hard to tell that there are two words. Anyway, no problem.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast