Thread: [WIP] B&W map

Wip [WIP] B&W map

This is a a work in progress. After various tries of creating different worlds I decided to start at the beginning. The map itself. I am a beginner in map-mapping, a novice in gimp and a ****ty artist so far.

The techniques I use in the process are made from hand drawings and then worked on in GIMP. The only thing so far created from the computer are the provincial borders.

I have also decided to do a black and white map at least to start with so I can increase my skills

Would love some critique and pointers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	1,015.5 KB 
ID:	53937

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Great start!

If your computer can handle it I'd work in a higher resolution, that will let you make a more detailed map and give a smoother look.

The mountains are really nice, especially the bigger ones. I think they would look even better with more variety, though. You don't have to draw every one individually, just a couple more and mix them for a more natural look.

Finally, here's a great tutorial about rivers:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ght-place.html

I hope I'm not coming across as overly critical here, it's a map with lots of potential and I'm looking forward to the next WIP!

Thanks for the criticism, the tutorial about rivers were much appreciated, have read upon geology a bit now to get a basic understanding of how earth works. Have used tectonic plates lines to get the mountain ridges in place. Next up is finding a good river flow.

Here is a elevation map of my region:

Name:	bergsmarkering.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	53994

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looks good, the mountain ridges are more clearly defined now which will make the rivers easier to place.

By the way, what size is the region you are mapping? Island, continent, supercontinent? I'm just curious

Well, at the moment it is a continent. The world map span will be 16 A3 maps by 4x4.

Like this:

1234 (1)
    5678 (1)
    1234 (2)
    5678 (2)

The map I working on now is 8(1). Here is a quick update over my tectonic plates and coastal shelf and oceanic ridges.

Name:	coastalshelf.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	54033

Update: Finally got done with my mountain brushes so here comes a updated map with the outline and mountains.

Name:	bergsmarkeringview.jpg 
Views:	1026 
Size:	994.0 KB 
ID:	54209

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

You have several oultines mountains sizes which is not really fine. You may want to have smae outlines mountains size to make the map consistent. Also the mountains looks a bit too pyramidal in my opinion and doesn't look like mountains ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    You have several oultines mountains sizes which is not really fine. You may want to have smae outlines mountains size to make the map consistent. Also the mountains looks a bit too pyramidal in my opinion and doesn't look like mountains ranges.
    Thanks for the criticism. Made a How do I thread about the outlines http://www.cartographersguild.com/ho...siest-way.html .
    Would appreciate some pointers about how to fix them. And if you could name the best mountain tops and mountain outlines so I have something to work with.

One drawback to scaling the same symbols up and down is that the line weight expands and shrinks too. One would expect a hand-drawing cartographer to use the same or really similar size pens. If you want to depict markedly different sized peaks, which is a good goal, you'll pretty much have to draw them differently sized from the start.

Note you're depicting all the same *type* of peak - the young, sharply hewn ones that may have seen some past glaciation. If you go to a bit less detail, the eye says "stand in for any kind of mountain". This detailed or more, the viewer starts to expect that you are enumerating specific mountains or at least representative real ones... Think with your tectonic scheme which ranges might be older ones ( Urals, Appalachians, Ozarks) and which younger ( Himalayas, Rockies, Alps). If you want to show that level of detail, then draw you some rounder symbols as well.