Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WIP the heptarchy of Seferedh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    i love how a little update from you is basically a finished map!

i love how a little update from you is basically a finished map!

i like the subtle texture you have on the text - is there a texture layer on top of them or is the text opacity less than 100%?
    I used to try a texture on text to give it a subtle distressed texture but most of the time I wasnt really satisfied with it. I tried something different (more efficient and easier to do) here, an inner glow:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seferedh text effect.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	57598

Obviously, size of the inner glow has to be set according to size text. Also the text opacity is 90%.
    It works also on other elements, I used a similar effect on the border lines (mostly visible on the larger ones). Some pics for the comparison (without and with the effect) :

Name:	border1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	57599 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	border2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	57600

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

cool, it helps soften everything to give it a bit more of a hand-made look. good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    What I wonder about, Max, is how you draw the mountains. Do you do them by hand, on a piece of paper? Do you draw 'em in with a clone stamp or something like that? Or are they drawn with a graphics tablet?

As always, I'm very impressed with your map. Keep 'em coming, mate. And er... I would very much like to help you out when it comes to checking your English, if you ever decide to do a tutorial. I'm sure many others on this forum will feel the same way ;-)
    Thanks Caenwyr! Argh seems that I'm on heavy fire to make a tutorial or giving tips Alright here we go for the mountains : Those are hand-drawn with a graphic tablet (but in this style there's not that much tablet function used - just a very small controle pressure that's it, so that can be easily done by hand then scanned). Here's a quick one.

First draw a simple outline (here I used a small grungy round brush - no need to be too neat and clean for the style, that is intended to emulate some old 17th century style cartography mountains):

Name:	mountain 1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	57601

Then add "shadows" by simple curved hatching and a few dots:

Name:	mountain2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	57603

Then add a bit of noise:

Name:	mountain3.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	57604

Once scaled down and put on a background with a dark brownish color you're done
    Name:  mountain4.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  33.7 KB

Oh wait, now you just need to draw dozens more mountains You can draw them all on the map or if you want to re-use them on some other projects, turn them into brushes. Here I use them as brushes. Basically I draw the mountains, keep a few individual ones and build up some ranges (horizontal, vertical, diagonal ones, in short/medium/long sizes) and build up the final ranges on the map with them.

Hope that helps

cool, it helps soften everything to give it a bit more of a hand-made look. good stuff
    Thanks, yep : doing less digital with digital

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I used to try a texture on text to give it a subtle distressed texture but most of the time I wasnt really satisfied with it. I tried something different (more efficient and easier to do) here, an inner glow:
    Yeah, I do that too, when it's not worth it to get out the ink and lettering pen. But I do an inner glow AND a texture overlay using a paper texture, both just low opacity... 12 and 7%... or about there. There's a mixture of digital and hand-inked lettering in both the Wyn and Callis maps... can't remember all of which was which.

You seem fluent in English. But a video tutorial wouldn't require audio comments... you can add them with text at the point of reference. Just saying. Though I shouldn't talk. I still can't seem to get a video from a raw state to edited and saved properly for upload.

Sorry to put you in the firing zone... except not really... You post such excellent maps on a regular basis... you had it coming.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

And if you could see my PM inbox...

Anyway, updated with northern lands labels done, with special location added. Also mountains ranges, rivers, kingdom borders and key cartouche added on southern part.

Name:	Sephered5.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	57622

Dang Max, another nice one I didn't even notice!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Sorry to put you in the firing zone... except not really... You post such excellent maps on a regular basis... you had it coming.
    ^^ This. ^^

I really like where this is going, Max I'm sure the finished map will be another beauty for your finished folder.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks Viking and Eilathen, glad you like it.

Looking fabulous as always Max!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast