Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you create your maps for?

Default What do you create your maps for?

I'm just curious as to what everyone here uses their maps for.
    My main use for creating maps is usually for stories I write to help me determine where things are.

Mainly it's because I'm trying to create a world, well not the whole world, just a small corner of it. And since I'm making the world just for the heck of it i guess i just make maps because its fun and challenging.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I do it for no other reason than because I like to. I don't play games with them, I'm not writing anything, I just have fun doing them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

All of the above? I map for the novel I'm writing, for the game I'm running, and for the fun of it.

I guess they are quite fun, but I sometimes feel like my maps should tell some kind of story about them. I remember one map I created years ago, I wanted it to be for a game or something and I created the land based on a players journey to find relics. I had the whole thing planned out and even split the regions up into different terrains. I had a frozen region, a dry and rocky region, a heavily forested region, and I even had a dark sort of evil boss region where all the trees were dead and the place was spiky and evil. I guess I just like the idea of maps that tell a story of why places and areas are the way they are. Adds a bit more mystery to the map.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I do it for no other reason than because I like to. I don't play games with them, I'm not writing anything, I just have fun doing them.
    Quoted for Truth, though I also do it to learn the software.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Arhan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like how they don't have faces.

Well, environments in general don't usually have faces, and I find them a good change of pace from drawing people. I second the post about creating worlds and parts of them.

I'm an administrator for an online text MMORPG, and there is no graphical map of the place, so I thought I'd make one. And then one of the former admins is working on his own similar game that will take place across several planets, and I thought I'd go ahead and do those for him as well.

Being an avid gamer and artist I'm just naturally drawn to the maps. My first maps were at the age of 9-10, I mapped the woods behind my house and at the local park (marked the boundaries, trails and were we buried our trinkets). Nowadays most of mine are related to a game (D&D, RPG) I'm running or playing in, some are just for creative satisfaction.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All my maps are related to games I play (D&D 4e these days). Although the tiles I've made http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...at-1-inch-grid were mostly done to try it out - but of course they do work for D&D combat. And I also agree with several of the answers quoting that it also improves skill - hence the particitpation in the mapping challenges
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast