Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The world of Ilandria - Neverwinter Nights 1 Online server

Guild Novice

Map The world of Ilandria - Neverwinter Nights 1 Online server

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this and this is my first map i ever did (i did it 4 times from start since i desided that something was always strange...) what do you think about this map? I learned everything i did on this map since it was my first time working with CC3.

The map is for our Ilandria 2 project (NWN 1 online server), which is HCRP server.

I did spent the whole 1 day doing this map!

programs used: CC3

nks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ilandria2 - map.jpg 
Views:	4650 
Size:	706.0 KB 
ID:	8649  
    Last edited by nikes; 12-23-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Map upload

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilwan's Avatar

This is a great map with alot of mood in it. I like the way you placed the mist on a top layer. The geographic features are a bit unrealistic, but wth. its fantasy.

Awesome job for a first map - looking forward to see more from you

Guild Novice

Thanks! I started at 9:00 morning at ended at 2:00 morning

BTW can you guys tell me your opinion on the failures on this map? I wanna see what i made bad before printing it!

I'm gonna do 2 next versions of this map:
    one will be on the pergamen (no colors...) and the second one i was inspired by someone on this forum, a mixture on the pergamen with some colors & effects so it will give a bit of 3D effect...
    Last edited by nikes; 12-23-2008 at 05:41 AM.

To be honest Nikes, most people are not going to download a zip file from an external site from someone they don't know. There is also the holiday thing that may affect your feedback rate to, but if your looking for more feedback, I would highly suggest modifying your original post (as a Mod, I was originally considering removing the link!) and include a scalled down version uploaded. Save it as jpg and if possible in your application, turn down the quality a few notches, say to 90% or perhaps 80%. You will probably not see much difference. I know people have uploaded maps that large here before, so it's all about tweaking things to get them under the size limits, or you could just upload a smaller example file to get just barely make it under the size limit and say "hey, go look here for the full sized example".
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very evocative map.

One thing though, Looking at it (and the high detail/Save really brings it out), is the forest has some of the 'back' symbols in front of the front symbols. What this means is CC3 is built, (like all maps of this style), is that the symbols are supposed to have a TOP-DOWN/BACK-FRONT style, or those at the top of the feature area (a Forest for example) are to be at the back, while those at the bottom are to be at the front.

This is extremely easy to fix in CC3. Simply Click on the SYMBOLS drop down menu, select the SORT SYMBOLS IN MAP feature, and then select all symbols in your forest, and then click DONE. And VIOLA, they are sorted properly. This works best if you doe each forest seperately, rather than the map as whole.

Good Job on the map though, I am Impressed!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    To be honest Nikes, most people are not going to download a zip file from an external site from someone they don't know. There is also the holiday thing that may affect your feedback rate to, but if your looking for more feedback, I would highly suggest modifying your original post (as a Mod, I was originally considering removing the link!) and include a scalled down version uploaded. Save it as jpg and if possible in your application, turn down the quality a few notches, say to 90% or perhaps 80%. You will probably not see much difference. I know people have uploaded maps that large here before, so it's all about tweaking things to get them under the size limits, or you could just upload a smaller example file to get just barely make it under the size limit and say "hey, go look here for the full sized example".
    Also, jpeg files are already compressed. Zipping them will often give you a larger file than the original jpeg!

-Rob A>

Good job, a very nice work.
    I don't like the CCartographer-Style, but exceptionally I like your map!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ahhh now I can at least get a good look at it, I downloaded your .ZIP file but it was corrupted. Wish it was a higher resolution so I could zoom in on it further.

From what I can see, it is well done.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Map

Hi again,

I've remade this map to 'pergamen version' and i also repaired some strange things i had bad feeling about them before.

Here is the link: http://lantechnet.net/ilandria/Iland...20pergamen.PNG

BTW: specialy in this case, i couldn't upload a smaller JPG file with smaller value of quality, because when i did it, it was totaly unreadable and crazy. So i am sending this link (uploaded to my bro's FTP, it's a direct link to map, so not needed to download anything untrusted).

P.S.: omg i'm so proud at this map! i'm an meganoob mapper, but this map seems very good (at least for me)
    Last edited by nikes; 12-30-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Very cool map Nikes, something you can be proud of indeed! The basics still done in CC3 I think?
    I repped you for it.

You might want to upload a smaller version of this version of the map, so that people see a thumbnail they can click. Then put in the link to the huge version
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-30-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast