Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - My first ever map!

You could try to include roads, and see how it plays out, but personally I would leave them. The map is quite good as it is.

There are, of course, some small things that can be improved.
    You could put a little more work into your labeling - you got a little overenthusiastic with the curves in some places. You might also rework your map border so that it fits correctly.
    The issue with the rivers you have already mentioned yourself.

Everything else: composition, colouration, textures, the font, the placement of the labels, overall impression... this is a most excellent map! Congratulations, and I hope to see more of your work.

Thank you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    You could put a little more work into your labeling - you got a little overenthusiastic with the curves in some places.
    I know, I'm not happy with the labels either. Now that you pointed it out, the small islands labels are clearly exaggerated.
    I don't quite get whats an appropriate amount of curve yet tho. I read somewhere here to try and make the label fill the space when the thing being labelled is a big area, but of course there should be a balance between that and legibility. Do you think that, for example, the labels on "Terra Desolada" (upper right) and "Serra do Machado" (upper center mountains) are too much curved?

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    You might also rework your map border so that it fits correctly.
    Yeah, that was just plain lazy lol

Thanks for the helpful advices! I'll try to make a new map soon to incorporate what I've learned with this one.

Style: I don't know about the font, it looks to playful to me, but then again, I don't have a better suggestion either.

Content: The Lago Páldo seams a little tiny to be the end of the big Rio Falke (and two minor rivers springing from the deserts)

Also, about your scale: If I understand this right, one square = the whole black/while scale is "one day's horse ride". Is that an average horse riding an average traveler on an average day during a longer journey (15-20 miles), or is that a top messenger horse for urgent messages pushed to it's limits for 24 hours after which it has to be cared for for weeks, if it does not outright die of exhaustion (up to 100 miles, if my internet search is right)?

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus_ View Post
    I don't know about the font, it looks to playful to me, but then again, I don't have a better suggestion either.
    Hum, I didn't notice this before. I think you're right, I does seems a bit off for a map. I'll look for alternatives.

The Lago Páldo seams a little tiny to be the end of the big Rio Falke
    So very true. And making it bigger would also solve a history problem, the border between the Kingdom of the Lakes and the lands of the barbarians should be easier to defend and more clear.

Also, about your scale: If I understand this right, one square = the whole black/while scale is "one day's horse ride".
    Precisely. The whole bar should be around 50 km (31 miles). It's supposed to be a day travelling with a good horse, on a good road and on favorable terrain and weather, assuming a good night's rest. Of course, with the terrain that probably won't be true on most of this map.

Latest version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humir_pq.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	60327

Thanks for the review! Very insightful!
    Last edited by rgcalsaverini; 01-15-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I forgot to add the picture

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12