Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onion Domes

Post Onion Domes

So, I'm currently mapping a city for a gamemaster, and he tells me that the city has onion domes in it from way back in the past. My thoughts were roughly, "Gah this could be rough. Okay, lets make up some onion domes." So, here they are, in various shades of disrepair.

Feedback is always welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base Onion Dome.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	1069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Onion Dome 4.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	1070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Onion Dome 3.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Onion Dome 2.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	1072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Onion Dome 1.png 
Views:	365 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	1073  

Hi Chaosmark,

Not sure what sort of effect you're after, but copper onion domes with virdigris..I came up with this. I started with a basic virdigris turquoise, applied an inner glow to the circumference and used an HSB noise filter to give the dome some texture. Then added some cracks and a rip in it (again using filters). Finally applied a fisheye distortion to it to make it more 'dome like'. Then I just popped on the rectangles and circle to represent the ribbing and finial and gave them a drop shadow.

Feel free to use them if they suit. I popped in a black and white version just in case, but hopefully now you can make your own! The filters I used were all from the Alienskin range. Well worth the money. The main application was paintshop pro. I would not be surprised if the GIMP has comparable filters which are free.

Ravs

Name:	dome4.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	1082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome5.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	1083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome46.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	1084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome 7.png 
Views:	529 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	1085  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    The main application was paintshop pro. I would not be surprised if the GIMP has comparable filters which are free.
    None that are as nice The Alien Akin filters are all really sweet. I have used them in the GIMP in the past, using the PSPI Plugin as a wrapper. Unfortunately, they don't work 100% using this method

-Rob A>

Well, I honestly, wasn't wanting totally demolished domes, just weathered due to age. They wouldn't have let them fall apart, but a little weathering gives it a bit of realism. But then, I might end up using the completely whole one, due to the reduction in size once I put them in the map.

Hmm...not sure why, but these all seem very "flat" to me. The colors are nice, but not sensing any dimensionality to them. Perhaps it's just because they are out of context "floating" in white?
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

An indication of the spire (a shadow or narrowing of a tile pattern) would help a great deal. One photo at the following link shows several dome designs; not all have the ice cream cone swirl:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_dome

They probably look flat because the lighting is directly overhead so the only shadows are at the base? I did a quick 3d model of one to check out how it takes the light at an angle which shows how the spire shadow looks. I might put those shadows in later.

Interesting exercise.

Ravs

Name:	domerender.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	1102  

Yes, those shadows help immensely!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Actually, I hadn't though about adding shadows. I'll probably end up doing that as part of the end map. Thank you muchly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast