Thread: A wallet, that's a MAP!

Blog Entries

Praise A wallet, that's a MAP!

I just got myself a "Mighty Wallet". It's made of Tyvek, that papery plastic material they use for express mail envelopes and for wrapping buildings during construction. This particular one is printed with an old map of Alaska: http://www.mightywallets.com/explorer-mighty-wallet/ There are also versions with maps of various famous transit systems, and various non-map related ones.

That's pretty cool. Probably tough too. Tyvek seems to be the only material known to man that my puppy can't effectively shred...
    M

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    That's pretty cool. Probably tough too. Tyvek seems to be the only material known to man that my puppy can't effectively shred...
    M
    It's hard to believe it's the same plastic (high density polyethylene) as in plastic shopping bags, just arranged differently (A fused mat of fibres rather than a simple sheet)

Heh. Wish they'd make shopping bags more like Tyvek...mine *always* rip!
    M

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Heh. Wish they'd make shopping bags more like Tyvek...mine *always* rip!
    M
    Some of the reusable ones are made of Tyvek, though Polypropylene and PETE seem more common.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Sinnyo's Avatar

Default Map Wallets, Diaries, Bags...

By strange coincidence, I just noticed earlier today that (I think I'm right on this) the disc wallets which LoveFilm use to send DVDs through the post are made from Tyvek. Useful stuff!

Anyway, I clicked through because on a related note, I've been receiving these Tube Map diaries as gifts for the past two Christmasses. Beautiful and useful - it's far easier to yank this out of my handbag than to call up an app. or rummage around for a paper map! As I'm an amateur graphic designer too, I love the fact the Tube style carries on throughout the diary, also to a set of cute stickers which you can attach to the month-per-view pages - including rows of an altered Underground logo, reading either "London" or "Hold Tight". It does feel nice having my trips to the capital marked by a London Underground sticker...

This gets me to considering a completely cartographic bag. I wonder just how many corners of the world one could fit into something like this (starting with keychains, naturally):

"Leave nothing but journey histories, take nothing but pictures; speak softly and carry a big lightsaber."
    raygungoth.net | @RaygunGoth (known by that handle most places but here!)