Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Blackmarsh Lowlands

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip The Blackmarsh Lowlands

In the time before man when only the fey races walked the lands, the Gods were pleased. Their subjects were loyal and cared for the Gods creations. One of the Gods thinking himself better than his fellows took a hand at creation and made man. This angered the Gods but they let the creation stand to watch what would happen. Man was inquisitive, violent, passionate and many other things indeed. Man took without asking and changed the land to better suit himself. The Feyborn retreated before this new threat and the Gods were displeased. The god who thought himself better was banished to live out the life of man and the other Gods made the rains fall hard and for many months until the lands were washed clean. Man was not so fragile however and survived the cleansing. Now man clings to existence in this great lowlands with floods and the anger of the Gods......

Obviously I don't have enough to do This is me playing with Wilbur and some GIMP stuff. I liked it enough to keep working on it and post it. I'll probably add some labels and call it done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Blackmarsh Lowlands.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	34851
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the backstory; cool idea!

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I like the backstory; cool idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Beautiful colours, JT! Nice backstory too!!
    Thanks I'm trying to keep the "creative" machine going for the Caravan Adventure so I'm writing all the time..

Now for a question. Does this look better without the mountains? I can't decide (although it is supposed to be lowlands..)

Mountains Version

Views:	68 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	34863

Non Mountains Version

Views:	77 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	34864
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I prefer the mountain. How does it look with the mountains AND the stronger bevel for the rivers?

I also prefer the mountainous version, but you could maybe give the mountains a tan/brown hue and soften them up to make them more like steep hills. That might be more in keeping with the lowlands concept.

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I think I prefer the mountain. How does it look with the mountains AND the stronger bevel for the rivers?
    Here it is with the mountains AND the stronger bevel

Views:	72 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	34867

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabehero View Post
    I also prefer the mountainous version, but you could maybe give the mountains a tan/brown hue and soften them up to make them more like steep hills. That might be more in keeping with the lowlands concept.
    That's a good idea. I'll try it. Thanks

Finished Maps

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Here it is with the mountains AND the stronger bevel
    Okay I think I prefer this version. How about toning down the color changes (towards white) just a little bit? And yeah, trying brownish mountains is probably a good idea too, they will look lower that way and you want ot create lowlands here.

Are the blue areas the inundated areas, or is that ocean/sea? If the latter, I would suggest perhaps outlining the coast, for enhanced clarity? If the former ... well ... cool!
    Regards,

RK

Blog Entries

The blue is water that hasn't receded yet. I got lucky with the height field and it gave me some nice "almost flooded" areas.

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast