Thread: Trying to fill an area with CC3's hex grid

Default Trying to fill an area with CC3's hex grid

So, I have a 1200x1200 background I want to use to build a stylised map on top of. That's great only when I create a 1200x1200 map in CC3, the hex grid only covers 9/10ths of it and leaves a bit at the top uncovered and a massive chunk off the side completely blank. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to line up properly and fill the entire area.

This would be fine if I could reverse engineer the exact area for the hex grid and then resize the map to it, but I can't even figure that out!

Help? Please? Take pity on me and my inability to comprehend the iniquities of CAD, and the tyranny of evil programs, and we shall strike down upon them with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my projects!

You may be able to select everything on your map and Scale it up to the size of the grid.
    I cheat with things like this and use bits of tape on my monitor to know the exact size I have to scale it to. This is because you won't be able to scale the grid, that will have to be hidden.

So mark the corners of your grid. Hide it in the layers.
    Scale select all items on the map, and make sure you scale and position it in the marks you've made on your screen.

This may work.

Also some of the super talented CCII & III user's may have better quicker ways to do this.

Tape on my lovely 27" glossy glass iMac monitor? I THINK NOT GOOD SIR! I'm already obsessively compulsively cleaning it all the time for inadvertent spit spatters and grubby finger marks!

Also, the I don't want to change the scale of the hex grid at all, as it's exactly the scale of the map, and I can't scale the map even if I wanted to (which I don't 'cause again it'd ruin the scaling) because it's being used as an imported image for a template to build a new map on top of (imported images can't be manipulated in CC3).

What I'd like is a way for the hexes to fill the rest of the map even though they'd be cut off or to be able to determine the pixel width (I can do height easily enough because they're stacked horizontally and I've manually set the pixel height but width uses math beyond my ken) so that I could TRIM (note, not scale) the template map image to the appropriate size.

Alternately, if there's a way to simply print out or edit the final map to leave out the unhexed area, that could work too, otherwise the thing looks higgledy-piggledy with a large unhexed area on one side and hex grid borders (why do they even put that in when the intention should be for it to fill the entire map area?) forming a big black line through the damn map.

can you post up a copy of your map in the FCW format or email to me? I can take a look at it and see if I can do anything.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

One option you might try is to do a hollow fill box with the hex fill in it. Though this is a bit of a pain to scale the hexes to the correct dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    can you post up a copy of your map in the FCW format or email to me? I can take a look at it and see if I can do anything.
    Thanks for the reply and sorry for taking so long with this. The linked map is an example of the problem without my background map included since it's irrelevant and just serves to increase file size. I want the hexes to fill the entire 1200x1200 area which, as you can see, it doesn't do.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8f4d7ihf130tjna

In the Draw-->Hex or Square Overlay dialog, after you set the parameters for the grid, press the "Select Points" button on the bottom right. The grid will fill the rectangle you draw then.

OK, looking at your map, and doing what Wonko suggested, will give you exactly what you want.

What has happened initially is this: CC3 with regards to the HEX fill likes to work with WHOLE hexes, and will force the borders (with regards to the hex area) to edges of a whole hex).

BUT, If I do as Wonko suggested, with the following options: HEX Horizontal, spacing 175 (closest I could quickly calculate), labeled, select points, it will fill the entire area (but will still only label complete hexes).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEX-EXAMPLE.png 
Views:	344 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	36138
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    BUT, If I do as Wonko suggested, with the following options: HEX Horizontal, spacing 175 (closest I could quickly calculate), labeled, select points, it will fill the entire area (but will still only label complete hexes).
    Ah, ok, thanks.

I'm going to have to find another way then as 170 is what I need for the correct scaling to the background map I'm using as a template. I guess I could try halving or quartering that. Still, it's a bit silly that it doesn't act like a fill, or at the very least give a you a means to calculate the full area of the hex grid so that you can accommodate its quirkiness

I've just wasted another four hours of my life trying to figure out CC3. Even using guides, I haven't even been able to do basic things I could've done in Paint. I'm glad I 'demod' a copy of CC3 before buying. I just deleted it and am going back to Photoshop/Illustrator. At least with them I already own them and whatever I learn using them can be used for other things besides making fantasy maps. Can't say I'd ever recommend buying CC3 to anyone :/