Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cavern generator

>>< drow ><<

Guild Journeyer

Have you mapped out your memory usage in your algorithm? What exactly are you doing with your system memory? Do you have anyway to cut a map into chunks for fine detail processing and then automatically stitch it back together after the fact?

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Have you mapped out your memory usage in your algorithm?
    What exactly are you doing with your system memory?
    that's been this morning's work, aside from a quick trip to ikea.

the generator is written in perl, so i'm at perl's mercy regarding memory allocation and usage.
    and perl is rather notorious for sacrificing ridiculous piles of memory for performance.

i've converted the cell map from an array of arrays of integers (lazy)
    to an array of strings, using vec() to manipulate it.

$map->[$r][$c] # uses a lot of memory
    vec($map->[$r],$c,1) # a lot less memory, and isn't any slower

much better! a colossal cavern, standard style and print scale, now takes 3.5 minutes to generate,
    and the process consumes just over 500 MB of memory, instead of the 3+ GB it was sucking down before.

the parchment style is the most computationally expensive, and pushes that to 7.5 minutes.
    the resulting image is an 8051 x 8051 pixel jpeg, 13 MB in size.
    Last edited by drow; 09-19-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    >>< drow ><<

Man, you're awesome! Very talented.

I've noticed that there are no entrances to your caverns, though. Will you make it so that there's a cave opening running off the map?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Big Mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Man, you're awesome! Very talented.

I've noticed that there are no entrances to your caverns, though. Will you make it so that there's a cave opening running off the map?
    I was about to say both of those things too. The maps do look great.

If this is going to be automated, could you perhaps give the user a choice to the number of entrances (when you eventually get to that stage)?

One entrance would give people a cave, but two (or a few) would give them the option to pass through the cave system to get somewhere else. That might be useful.
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    New to cartography and seeking advice - eventual goal to make a large number of maps for the many worlds of the Spelljammer Campaign Setting

Man, Drow, you really rock.

Ever think about a random forest generator?
    Last edited by Sharpe; 10-18-2010 at 09:19 PM.

wow, I just saw all the stuff you have on there. What a great resource. I can see using it to help build stuff for my RPG group when I'm in a hurry and so on. Thanks for all your hard work on this stuff.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Indeed, great resource. Thanks a bunch!

Awesome! Love it! I'll be using this a lot!
    Last edited by MadCatUSA; 10-28-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Didn't read page 2!

Drow, as a suggestion for your random dungeon generator, would you consider making an option for all plain doors? Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast