Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Das Qala

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Wip Das Qala

Hi guys, so I never did these kind of stuff before, Ive started this cartography thing 2 months ago and never thought I would love making it. I consider my drawing skills between ok and bad, but I decided to try and do something in these month challenge.

It was born from some initial lines, the idea of a castle carved in to a mountains ( its a cliche, but hey its my first try!). Im making Das Qala based on Minas Tirith, The Eyrie (from GOT) andother castles that are mountain based (I might say I stole a bit the idea from the Throat of the World from Skyrim). To reach Das Qala one must walk the Red Stairs, and then reach the village of Das Kand, from there walk the Das Qala mountains road, a tricky and narrow one, making it impossible for a large contingent to walk it without casualties.
    I know the story is still a bit shallow, but if everything goes well, i will try and do something more interesting.
    Critics are welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dasqala.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	48138  

I really like it (...and if your drawing skills are "between OK and Bad" then we need to seriously revise the scale to make room for my abominations - hence the reason I use CC3 and occasionally photoshop). I'm not sure if it would kill the aesthetic, but i'd be interested to see how it'd look with a little more subtle shading and/or color.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    I really like it (...and if your drawing skills are "between OK and Bad" then we need to seriously revise the scale to make room for my abominations - hence the reason I use CC3 and occasionally photoshop). I'm not sure if it would kill the aesthetic, but i'd be interested to see how it'd look with a little more subtle shading and/or color.
    hahaha I forgot to mention that its only a skecth, the shading is coming after I finish the main lines!
    Thanks for the reply!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Yes this looks interesting so far, i like the idea of outposts on mountains in generally. Its like a Small Universe in itself, consisting of a path and the steps of a small Journey. What truely would make this good would Be some nice ideas about the Arcitecture and culture of the place. Did several cultures Build on Top of each others? Did ancient kingdoms used this place As well? What are the benefits of doing such a desolated place? Why the efford, what is the fortress looking over? Are there traderoutes?

After the other dragonthemed City I now too decided to take part in this challenge. May the Best win.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Yes this looks interesting so far, i like the idea of outposts on mountains in generally. Its like a Small Universe in itself, consisting of a path and the steps of a small Journey. What truely would make this good would Be some nice ideas about the Arcitecture and culture of the place. Did several cultures Build on Top of each others? Did ancient kingdoms used this place As well? What are the benefits of doing such a desolated place? Why the efford, what is the fortress looking over? Are there traderoutes?

After the other dragonthemed City I now too decided to take part in this challenge. May the Best win.
    Oh crap, now that you are in I have no chance of winning

Jokes apart, thanks for the tips Schwarzkreuz, it really is a important step to overlook the history of the place! I shall commence this now.

Great start! Don't forget to add the ### LATEST WIP ### above your art so it shows up in the Thumbnail grabber.

Sometimes don't remember who i said what advice, so i am sorry if i repeat myself.
    Have you looked into the free textures on CGTextures for your Map?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great start! Don't forget to add the ### LATEST WIP ### above your art so it shows up in the Thumbnail grabber.
    Sorry to ask but how I do that?

Schwarzkreuz
    At the moment Im still doing the drawing and thinking about the architecture, I was thinking in keeping the aesthetic of this map like these, with lines and maybe some shading. To tell the truth I dont even know how I could apply a texture to look like a drawing and not a real thing. Did you mean that?
    Sorry If misunderstood what you said.

Yes more or less, it was just a suggestion.

It goes right above your map just like I did in a previous challenge.

Example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP-Sample.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	48156

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast