Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vesper City

Default Vesper City

I never intended to make this map really. I've been working on my antira-related series of maps and the town I have come to making is called Lyreton. It consists of a bridge and castle and town. I have done three versions of it now and dislike every one (I may post them at a later date as "generic" towns). In my frustration I decided to make a town of Vesper while I think of how to approach it. I usually have a couple of different projects in the works at any given moment which allows me to hop between them and stops me getting bored or really frustrated.

This is Vesper City as it appears in UO. Being an island-y city, it's sorta interesting in terms of layout. I decided to go with the palette I used on my Skara Brae map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allianceatlas_vesper.jpg 
Views:	916 
Size:	829.6 KB 
ID:	46128  

The look is interesting but there are no actual houses, just businesses. Is there more to this map elsewhere? This would certainly make stumbling home after a night on the town very challenging!

Wouldn't people just live above/next to their shops? In a medieval setting every man has his "own" business, there were no factories and office towers (I might be willing to make an exception for the tanner, the tannery should not be the same as his shop and flat ).

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

It's still unlikely that there would not be any buildings that were only houses.

And that font on the map, it's pretty interesting, but impossible to read if you don't know what it says beforehand. Otherwise it looks like Amskmr, or, if one happens to be knowledgeable in runes, you can get as close as "Aesker." But I can't see anyone being able to look at that and see "Vesper."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    And that font on the map, it's pretty interesting, but impossible to read if you don't know what it says beforehand. Otherwise it looks like Amskmr, or, if one happens to be knowledgeable in runes, you can get as close as "Aesker." But I can't see anyone being able to look at that and see "Vesper."
    The Ultima games use a modification of the Futhorc runes that swaps some runes and adds some new ones. In the "Sosarian" runes, that really does say "Vesper" and most reasonably avid players, at least of the single player games, can read it without much difficulty.

What Hai-Etlik said. =P Basically the "target audience" so to speak would be familiar with the runes.

Regarding the house thing, yes Vesper in UO has no pure houses (although in U7 it did I think, I can't remember). Many of the cities were designed that way now I think about it but I suspect it's partly for gameplay reasons.

Awesome stuff as always Larb. The layout of Vesper looks indeed very interesting. I also like this particular colour palette very much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Regarding the house thing, yes Vesper in UO has no pure houses (although in U7 it did I think, I can't remember). Many of the cities were designed that way now I think about it but I suspect it's partly for gameplay reasons.
    Yes U7 had houses and schedules for NPCs. So they would be at their businesses during the day, would go home or to the pub in the evening, and then sleep through the night.

A town with all housing over businesses would be unusual, but not impossible. Not every place could be like that, but pretty much every shop would have a residence above it, and many craftsmen... maybe the tanner here has no sense of smell. It makes for a quick commute when you just have to walk downstairs to your business.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great work Larb, I like the colors and houses.. however all the houses are at the same angle, which would be rare especially when they are on different islands
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast