Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Time to flee Skaro

Blog Entries

Post December Entry: Time to flee Skaro

I have been so long thinking what the eck to do for this month that I really thought I would not be doing one. Then I went to EnWorld and from there is a link to a new forum that Morrus has set up for Dr Who. Ahh now theres a thought. This could solve my token issues !

So I thought id do a pseudo scene from Destiny of the Daleks with the Doctor and Romana and K9 in the cave system (which did happen) with an invasion fleet of Daleks into cave (which didn't happen - at least I dont remember, it was a long time ago). Also I got hold of some Daleks form the web and rendered them up so the types are wrong. Theres a great Davros but its for Poser only and I cant convert native poser models. I might have done that scene where Davros wakes up and the Doctor puts bombs on the side of Davros chair but alas not.

I am still toying with the idea whether to put some Kaleds or Movellans in the scene being zapped by the Daleks and I can use some 1970's high tech BBC inverted colour effect - ohhh.

So anyway - bit of a laugh this time. Did a Tom Baker Doctor and a Romana with some paints and then got hold of K9, Tardis and the commander Daleks from Blender Who ! which has the most amazing set of Daleks ever !!! Unfortunately Blender UI is so crap I spent most of the evening just getting two rendered properly. I also stole another from Tobors Models which also has some great stuff. Former is do what you like and latter is free for non commercial. With latter Dalek I rendered head, body, gun and sucker seperately and then made icons out of each so I can rotate them in my app. I had to color and shade it up myself so I did this in light wave again cos its easier. I will add a gratuitous render of that in a mo.

The other bits are all CGTextures again - god its difficult to make useless bits of industrial junk !!! and the Dalek on fire is some simple fire plus I added a firework photo I had for the sparks which I think works really well.

So if anyone with poser would like to get a model of Davros from a freebie site and convert to .obj for me then that would be great - even if I dont use it here but id add him in if I could.

Well, enjoy - this was fun but my mind had a better vision than the result.

C&C's welcome as always.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	681.1 KB 
ID:	8453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DalekRender.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	8454  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-14-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Love the Daleks and that's definitely the Tom Baker Dr. (can't miss the hair and the scarf).

I think what it needs (and I'm sure you'll get to this) is some shadows, etc. everythin looks 'kind of flat' at the moment.

Great start, looking forward to seeing more.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yeah absolutely. Its all in 2D tho so it will have to be a paint dub shadows job. I don't even know where all the light sources might be either. Maybe just fudge that and have some random blurry shadows as though from multiple light sources in the ceiling.

Guild Member

Exterminate!

Blog Entries

Doctor is fiddling with the machine trying to get the force field up. K9 is blasting away taking close calls from the Dalek guns all the while Redrobes is manually adding shadows and highlights trying to keep up with the action...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	656.2 KB 
ID:	8599  

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    So if anyone with poser would like to get a model of Davros from a freebie site and convert to .obj for me then that would be great - even if I dont use it here but id add him in if I could.
    Here you go. Let me know if the model exported properly. It has an interesting construction of two figures merged into one, and I'm not sure if the obj data can handle that correctly.

There are a few options when exporting that I can tweak if needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Thanks thats excellent.

I had to modify the backrest and add some head gear to him. I got a texture map for his face from a promo shot. So here is Davros, mad scientist and leader of the Daleks. I will have to put him in the pic for sure but dont know where he will fit now.

Name:	Render_Small.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	8675  

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    So here is Davros, mad scientist and leader of the Daleks.
    Heh... I would more likely call him the creator and "sometime" leader of the Daleks given the history... what a bunch of ungrateful cyborgs...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Heh... I would more likely call him the creator and "sometime" leader of the Daleks given the history... what a bunch of ungrateful cyborgs...
    Ahh yes, your quite right. They do seem to forever be disobeying the supreme commander. Even in this Destiny episode they were doing it too tho one did scrifice itself to save ole Davros with the explosives.

I have popped him in. Getting busy in that cave I think. I reckon that this must be the last wip.

Oh and merry Christmas and seasonal greetings to all. I had better remove the poison dart traps from the chimney

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	WIP3_Small.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	696.3 KB 
ID:	8678  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast