Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map of Serth

Guild Apprentice

Post Map of Serth

Hi

I have recently started work on my first map made entirely in photoshop. It is a map of Serth, the world that my horror RPG takes place in.

What iv done:
    drawn outline
    put on parchment

Still to do:
    add mountains
    add forest
    add places
    add labels
    add measure
    add compass

Image:

Any C&C on what i can change/improve would be appreciated

thanks
    Keeghan

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The weathered parchment is fantastic, and it looks like the paper is sitting on a slightly tilted blotter or something. Looking forward to seeing more.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

The paper is top notch.

Guild Apprentice

thanks guys, im a bit worried about the coast lines, they just look a bit, odd, what do you kind people think?

The coast lines is on apr with the fact that it's sitting on an old, weathered piece of parchment. One could deduce that it was done in a time when knowledge of cartography was at it begining. This would be a very nice handout to the players i think.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

I think the coast lines could use some smoothing. They seem to be almost pixelated and blocky. Zoom way the hell in and smooth the buggers out. Also I would suggest some line width variation as well. That might authentic it up a bit as well.

Great parchment texture though.
    Something witty and pithy

Guild Apprentice

smoothing... yes, good idea, ill try that, and its pixelated, because... i enlarged it, about 300% from its origanal to put it onto parchment and ;line width varyation, as in, make some parts of the line thicker? ok, i guess that would make it look for like it was drawn with a calligraphy pen, i have a reall dip pen blah blah thing, so ill spend a bi of time drawing lines, and see what they look like, and try recreate it thankls everyone for the encoraging words

It almost looks "stretched" left-right. I think this is because all the long lines are horizontal.

Some suggestions
    -Turn the peninsula in the upper left corner 90 deg. so that it has a vertical orientation
    -Do the same with some of the islands.
    -Or, scale the whole thing down so that it is narrower.

Or do what your creative inner eye tells you to do and ignore this stranger. ;-)

Guild Journeyer

The only thing that strikes me as a bit odd is that really long canal to the east of the mainland, I can't think of what sort of plate movement would have formed that.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I agree with the pixelation issue... smooth it out, but I'd suggest also finding points to blur it a little, have it fade into the parchment. On something with ancient (and great) looking parchment like this, the writing on the parchment would be very weathered-looking as well. Probably some bleeding of the ink, if you can manage it, as well.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast