Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Earth Map

Map Alternative Earth Map

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this map, as what I have here is not a world of my own making so much as a political map of an alternative version of our world in 2009. Nonetheless, I thought those interest in alternative history would be interested in seeing it.

This world is dominated by three superpowers known as the Allies (blue), the Nubian Empire (yellow), and the Soviet Union (red). Territories not in control of any of the three superpowers are colored gray.

The Allies control western Europe, Japan, Australasia, and most of North America. As their name implies, they are not one single nation so much as an alliance of nations, but they cooperate so closely together that they are regarded as one superpower nonetheless. The Allies claim democracy and capitalism as the ideologies that bind them together. They also possess the most firepower of the three superpowers, for they are the only one to have nuclear weapons.

The Nubian Empire controls Africa, part of the Middle East, and some Mediterranean countries. They are by far the oldest of the superpowers, having existed for over three millennia. The Nubian Empire is ruled by a monarch, the Pharaoh, who is considered to be a god in the flesh. This belief that the Pharaoh they serve is divine gives the Nubian military an almost religious fanaticism unequaled in strength. The Nubians are also the economically most prosperous of the three powers, in part because of the natural wealth of the land they control as well as their long history of commerce with the outside world.

The Soviet Union controls most of Asia and eastern Europe. The Soviets claim to be communistic, but they would be more accurately described as totalitarian, with the ruling party having control of almost every aspect of the society. The Soviets rule over by far the largest population of the three superpowers, which means that they can field larger armies.

All three superpowers fight each other for control of the entire world, but each offers a different justification for their expansionism. The Allies claim to want to bring democracy and capitalism to the rest of the planet, the Nubians cite the authority of the gods, and the Soviets say that they want to bring about a global Revolution that will overthrow the capitalist and feudalist oppressors of working people the world over. Cynical observers argue that each faction just wants the same thing: total power over the planet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternateearthv2.png 
Views:	3613 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	18101  
    Last edited by trexmaster; 10-27-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Off to a good start!

It doesn't matter that you didn't make up this world. Otherwise, nobody would do Middle Earth or Star Wars maps.

Your map really wants titles on the colored areas. Or at the very least a color key somewhere.

Then, are there going to be cities?

Also, I think the texture in the sea needs to go byebye. It makes the continents look like they're laid flat on some weird showercurtain from the 1960s. If the sea texture can't match the coasts, then just use straight blue or some other color (black is cool).

It looks good so far. Please post your updates!

Map

Here's an updated version, with a legend and no ugly ocean texture.

Name:	alternateearthv3.png 
Views:	2918 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	18105  

Good so far ... keep going ...

I kinda hope that terrain will not be a factor in this map, other than as it affects political units.

Somehow this reminds me of Orwell. Oh, the triad of world powers, of course.

Show of hands for Europeans feeling slighted? Hah! The Nubians Cometh!

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Somehow this reminds me of Orwell. Oh, the triad of world powers, of course.
    You are not the only commenter to compare my alternative Earth to Orwell's 1984. In fact, on every forum I've posted this map on, at least one poster says it reminds him of Orwell.

Map

Here's a revamped version of my alternative Earth, this time without any gray "uncolonized areas" (I thought it didn't make sense for any part of the world to remain conquered given how powerful each of the three superpowers is).

Name:	alternateearthv4.png 
Views:	658 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	18113  

Quote Originally Posted by trexmaster View Post
    thought it didn't make sense for any part of the world to remain [un] conquered
    I could see it going either way. You might consider some autonomous areas within the superpowers ... places that almost aren't worth being claimed, or that have somehow won some partial independence.

Hey wait, I thought you said this world was not of your own making? Are you taking liberties?

Sticking with the Orwell thing (as I am a big fan of him and 1984 in particular) you could leave some areas grey as "contested areas". For those that haven't read the book, certain areas (resource rich, population heavy areas such as the Indian sub-continent, most of Africa, and South America) constantly traded hands as the three superpowers waxed and waned.
    M
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-28-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    [deleted]
    Bit of a spoiler there.
    Last edited by töff; 10-28-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Whoops, you're right. I don't think about spoilers for older stuff. I'll see if I can edit my older post to hide it.
    M

[edit]Hmmm. Doesn't seem to be a spoiler tag or any background color that will hide it. I removed the line.[/edit]
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-28-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast