Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Times Reference Links

Info Medieval Times Reference Links

Hello, Fellow Cartographers.

I was googling the Web today searching for Medieval Sketchup models and came across the below very nice links referencing Medieval / Middle Ages times and cultures. I thought y'all might like to look through them.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Gary

Medieval Europe

Medieval Times

The Middle Ages for Kids
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Nice resources, Gary. Very handy. Which rhymes with Vandy...which is also a portmanteau of "very" and "handy." Weird.

They were dark times.
    People receiving wheat as payment.
    Nobody could get out if your home town.
    Little girl of twelve years are married
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Quote Originally Posted by joćo paulo View Post
    They were dark times.
    People receiving wheat as payment.
    Nobody could get out if your home town.
    Little girl of twelve years are married
    And fun was had by all
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

And fun was had by all
    Hahahahaa, you'd think so considering how much it's been romanticized in the past century or so.

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchuck View Post
    Nice resources, Gary. Very handy. Which rhymes with Vandy...which is also a portmanteau of "very" and "handy." Weird.
    That is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by overlordchuck View Post
    Hahahahaa, you'd think so considering how much it's been romanticized in the past century or so.
    Yeah. That's why I love writing fantasy. You can romanticize some of the bad stuff.

For me the scariest parts about medieval times are the lack of hygiene and medicine. Then there's the issue of being born a serf, having to work really hard to survive and then being sent by your lord to be slaughtered on some battlefield.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Yeah. That's why I love writing fantasy. You can romanticize some of the bad stuff.

For me the scariest parts about medieval times are the lack of hygiene and medicine. Then there's the issue of being born a serf, having to work really hard to survive and then being sent by your lord to be slaughtered on some battlefield.
    Peasants actually worked fewer days in the year than we did. Granted their lives in general were not as pleasant as ours, but it wasn't as bad as it's often portrayed in school either.

Quite so. Though I wish I could write grittier fantasy. I don't think I do it well enough yet. But hey, practice makes perfect, right? Or better at least.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I wonder how grittier writing would sell in this genre. Personally, I like my reading to gloss over those nasty bits like getting sick in the winter (no one ever catches a cold), going to the restroom, menstruation, the horrid smell because no one hardly ever bathes, the reek of sewage clogged streets...you know that stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast