Thread: Great xkcd "what if" covers basics of climate patterns.

Link Great xkcd "what if" covers basics of climate patterns.

xkcd's "what if" is very funny physics based coverage of various what if scenarios. This one covers the Earth being magically rotated 90 degrees on its axis and the climatic shifts that would occur. It contains a great simple discussion of driving effects of climate patterns. A good read for world builders.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/10/

Enjoy,
    Dean
    Dean

\"Nonsense, your only saying that because no-one ever has!\"

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

What I wouldn't give to have Indonesia's weather in the UK. As long as the tectonic plates and everything have shifted as well

Quote Originally Posted by Yospeck View Post
    What I wouldn't give to have Indonesia's weather in the UK. As long as the tectonic plates and everything have shifted as well
    Give global warming a chance! It'll get there...

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Yeh, Bono really needs to get behind pro-Global Warming and bring attention to it. I can see the advertisement now; a slow pan to a dreary rainy day in Manchester and it cuts to a guy eating a pie as Bono's voice comes in over the top "Derek has rarely seen the sun, all his life he's lived in England and had to suffer under these terrible conditions. While people all over the world watch with their beautiful tans, think of Derek with his pasty white skin. This summer spare a thought for the people of England and do your part, start your car up in the drive and just let it run for an hour. Kick in your refrigerator and release those beneficial CFC gases into the atmosphere for Derek. Come on, give global warming a chance."

Yeh, Bono really needs to get behind pro-Global Warming and bring attention to it. I can see the advertisement now; a slow pan to a dreary rainy day in Manchester and it cuts to a guy eating a pie as Bono's voice comes in over the top "Derek has rarely seen the sun, all his life he's lived in England and had to suffer under these terrible conditions tas batam. While people all over the world watch with their beautiful tans, think of Derek with his pasty white skin. This summer spare a thought for the people of England and do your part, start your car up in the drive and just let it run for an hour. Kick in your refrigerator and release those beneficial CFC gases into the atmosphere for Derek. Come on, give global warming a chance."

i live in Indonesia, we have a warm weather the whole year.. kind of miss those cold weather.. our skin color is dark... i love white people... looked beautiful and clean....
    Last edited by tas-batam; 04-08-2016 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deanatglobe View Post
    xkcd's "what if" is very funny physics based coverage of various what if scenarios. This one covers the Earth being magically rotated 90 degrees on its axis and the climatic shifts that would occur. It contains a great simple discussion of driving effects of climate patterns. A good read for world builders.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/10/

Enjoy,
    Dean
    what if we reverse the rotation of Earth and its rotation around the sun?

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Cunning Cartographer View Post
    Yeh, Bono really needs to get behind pro-Global Warming and bring attention to it. I can see the advertisement now; a slow pan to a dreary rainy day in Manchester and it cuts to a guy eating a pie as Bono's voice comes in over the top "Derek has rarely seen the sun, all his life he's lived in England and had to suffer under these terrible conditions. While people all over the world watch with their beautiful tans, think of Derek with his pasty white skin. This summer spare a thought for the people of England and do your part, start your car up in the drive and just let it run for an hour. Kick in your refrigerator and release those beneficial CFC gases into the atmosphere for Derek. Come on, give global warming a chance."
    Good thing it's a gradual process. Most people I know in the UK can get sunburned from a travel brochure!