Thread: Scale vs pixels

Default Scale vs pixels

This may seem like a ridiculously easy question - the answer is probably staring me in the face - but I wondered if someone could help give me clarity.

I've nearly finished making my first map so am still fairly new to this. I'm trying to work out the scale for a map of an island that I've created. I want the island to be about 600,000 sq km in area.

I found a GIMP script on these forums that measures the perimeter of shapes and it says the perimeter of my island is 21,731 pixels.

What's the best way to work out how many pixels to a kilometer?

Select the area of the island, color-fill it with black, invert selection and color-fill the rest of the picture with white. Then use the histogram to count the number of black (value == 0) pixels.

You can then calculate the area (in square kilometers) of a single pixel by dividing 600,000 km2 by the total number of pixels to the island.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Select the area of the island, color-fill it with black, invert selection and color-fill the rest of the picture with white. Then use the histogram to count the number of black (value == 0) pixels.

You can then calculate the area (in square kilometers) of a single pixel by dividing 600,000 km2 by the total number of pixels to the island.
    This is exactly what I do to figure out scale.