Thread: The World of Iona

Post The World of Iona

I am currently putting together world and region maps for a new campaign world I am designing; it'll be used for the upcoming 4th Edition D&D game.

It's my first time in really designing anything like this, all done using photoshop 7, and I used a flat-earth world, simply because it is easier to design (I don't need to worry about curvature etc).

Any comments appreciated.

Link to the first, basic, world map: The World of Iona.
    Last edited by theskyfullofdust; 03-26-2008 at 05:23 AM.

I really like the background! It will be interesting to see you flesh out the detail on the world. Nice use of colour although there is some sacrifice of clarity to style. Perhaps a small glow around the text might help? The icy reaches on the circumference are stunning. I'd love to know the technique you used to achieve them.

I know what you mean about the text. On the regional maps I put a little background under the text to make it stand out.

I'll need to tweak that map anyhow, so I'll make the text stand out more then.

As for my technique: mostly trail & error using brushes and patterns, I forget which. I'll have a look when I get home and let you know

The white and the blue make me think its got a mystical element. Life in the middle of a harsh universe. I like it.

Sigurd

I'm getting a "not found" error.... (?)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    I'm getting a "not found" error.... (?)
    http://www.theskyfullofdust.co.uk/maps/ <-- I went to this link and saw quite a few maps, http://www.theskyfullofdust.co.uk/ma...ona-Master.jpg this one is listed as 'master' so I think it's the one it's supposed to point to.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Hi. Sorry, added a few maps and changed the main one last night, only just edited the original link.

As Airith says, you can view the rest of the maps via this link, which shows the master, the various 'realms' and a temperature-zone type map.

Currently working on a close-up of one of the regions, which will form the basis of my D&D game when I start playing it in June (or thereabouts); although I also plan on using this as a basis of a world to set a novel in, with name changes to avoid copy-right issues with WoTC.

Anyone got any tips on making a nice-looking forest using photoshop?