Thread: Tower Shrine

Guild Novice Facebook Connected BitMatt's Avatar

Map Tower Shrine

This one is loosely based on east asian design; although nowhere near as ornate as some I've seen. Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tower_shrine.PNG 
Views:	186 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	47303  

I like it.
    Are the stairs typically freestanding 'sculptural' elements in a tall open space?
    [A European castle would have probably set the stair into the thickened outer wall, but I am unfamiliar with East Asian shrines.]

Guild Novice Facebook Connected BitMatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    I like it.
    Are the stairs typically freestanding 'sculptural' elements in a tall open space?
    [A European castle would have probably set the stair into the thickened outer wall, but I am unfamiliar with East Asian shrines.]
    The stairs are wooden, fanning out from a large central pillar that rises the entire height of the tower; steep and open to the air, except for a low railing. The view towards the ceiling of the main shrine would be spectacular, but not comfortable for anyone who has issues with heights! The pillar itself would be anchored to the wall by frequent spars - the builders would take care to conceal these so that they are not immediately obvious, especially from below.

There's a lot of artifice and illusion in monumental buildings; a lot of ugly structural spaces that are not on the regular tours. This is especially true behind false ceilings and non-structural walls!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I always like non-European maps and also the full presentation of the building is well done.

If it only did not have that pesky grid

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org