Thread: March Entry: Send Help!

Post March Entry: Send Help!

Your torchlight barely illuminates a small flickering circle in this obviously large and high-ceilinged cavern. The floor is slippery, stained with a thick layer of bat droppings, and although out of view, the flapping and chittering from above suggests that countless bats inhabit the upper reaches of this chamber. Lying on the floor just a few feet away is what appears to be a small rolled piece of ragged parchment. Picking it up you examine it...on the outside is written a small message: "IMPORTANT: SAVE US, MAP ON THE INSIDE."

[They sent the map up tied loosely to a bat they found, knowing it would carry it up to this large chamber they remembered.]

Edit: Gah, forgot to put in a title (I'm not quite sure if I'm supposed to) but "SEND HELP" would be a nice name for this.
    Last edited by Justintime; 03-11-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: title stuff

Excellent entry. Original, creative, and nicely done.

Winning Glory and glorious win. This is the way I probably would've done it, too, so rest assured of at least one vote.

Very well done! Fun and pleasing to the eye!

Was this an authentic map or a graphics program simulation?
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Well, I made up some parchment and printed it out, then drew up the base map, scanned it, then crumpled it up and rescanned it, and then did all the writing on it. So basically a real map, but with save points. I was just frustrated with trying to do crumples and little tears in GIMP so I took the cheating way

Edit: Oh, and thanks for all the compliments!
    Last edited by Justintime; 03-12-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    Well, I made up some parchment and printed it out, then drew up the base map, scanned it, then crumpled it up and rescanned it, and then did all the writing on it. So basically a real map, but with save points. I was just frustrated with trying to do crumples and little tears in GIMP so I took the cheating way
    A little tautology for you:

Real = just as good.

Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I like your spin. This would be a great prop for an adventure.. Somehow I imagine adventurers entering the dungeon and finding a bat skeleton with the map attached. Help comes... just a couple years too late.
    Adam Watts

Quote Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
    I like your spin. This would be a great prop for an adventure.. Somehow I imagine adventurers entering the dungeon and finding a bat skeleton with the map attached. Help comes... just a couple years too late.
    That's a fun idea, I imagine it in a creepy, very foreboding way sort of like in Balin's tomb, just giving the party brief warning of what is coming. Interesting adventure possibilities...