Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The City of Ithora

Map The City of Ithora

Though I didn't actually use CC3 at all with this map, I did manage to grab several piece of art from the package to create it. I put everything together in PhotoImpactX3. I like a few of the effects I made (such as the waterfalls), though this is admittedly not the best city map I've ever done.

This city is seen on my previous map of North Ilos; this is a more demonstrated closeup of Ithora. It's a campaign that I'm creating for the new 4th edition D&D, with several "stock" aspects (such as the religions) with a few things that I'm really starting to like thrown in the mix. The city (and rest of the realm of North Ilos) was founded by a group of five legendary adventurers several hundred years ago, which had risen up against a corrupt monarch and divided his kingdom. The result today is North Ilos that is governed by the five ruling class noble families (called Purions) whom descend from those adventures.

Blah blah... I'll shut up now I am - of course - very interested in feedback from you guys. Criticisms are plenty welcomed.

-george
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ithora_final_low.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	800.0 KB 
ID:	4620  

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I really like the compass rose. Is it your own creation? If so , could you provide it separately?

Thanks,

-Rob A>
    No, that one isn't mine. It's one of the compass roses that come with CC3's overland map art.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Though I didn't actually use CC3 at all with this map, I did manage to grab several piece of art from the package to create it. I put everything together in PhotoImpactX3. I like a few of the effects I made (such as the waterfalls), though this is admittedly not the best city map I've ever done.

This city is seen on my previous map of North Ilos; this is a more demonstrated closeup of Ithora. It's a campaign that I'm creating for the new 4th edition D&D, with several "stock" aspects (such as the religions) with a few things that I'm really starting to like thrown in the mix. The city (and rest of the realm of North Ilos) was founded by a group of five legendary adventurers several hundred years ago, which had risen up against a corrupt monarch and divided his kingdom. The result today is North Ilos that is governed by the five ruling class noble families (called Purions) whom descend from those adventures.

Blah blah... I'll shut up now I am - of course - very interested in feedback from you guys. Criticisms are plenty welcomed.

-george

Well hell... if this is not your best, I am looking forward to seeing more, so get to postin!

You may want to think about a bit of "white" fog and/or rapids at the top of the waterfalls and back up stream a few yards. Even with the slight color change, the hard line between horizontal and vertical shift stands out a bit, especially on the larger three. Not horrible by any means, but I think it could be a bit better with very little effort. Of course, this is better than I have done so take the comment with a grain of salt...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's great. I particularly like the steel floor texture for the fields. Good work. The one thing that felt a litle out of place was the shaded blue dome in the south of the city. That felt a little too 'stuck on' in contrast to the buildings designated by different textures that surround it.

Otherwise, great map.

That is indeed a very nice map.

Good Job!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it all, crisp and clear and straightforward, nice colors, good labeling, etc. About all I would fiddle with is tweaking the waterfalls a bit (maybe darker at the bottom to make em seem taller, I dunno) and change the dark glow effect on the text in the menu to a fat stroke (but that's just me, I'm a fiddler).

Thank you for the feedback, everyone! The waterfalls will definitely see some attention in the remake of this particular map. Since we've already begun the campaign and it really revolves around Ithora, I just wanted a visual concept of the city.

Personally, my least favorite attributes of this map are the surrounding wooded areas (bleh! they stink) and the last minute add-ons like the exterior roads and the stadium. The Platinum Palace (the shiny, blue dome) does "stick out a bit" - probably a little too much. I did want it to be noticeable, but that's likely overdone.

Ultimately, I'd like to - when I get the time - create a very detailed map of the city of Ithora, including it's sewers and a small series of catacombs in the cliff sides. This version has no real detail at all. When I'm done with the improved version of Ithora I'll post it here, though it should hopefully be huge. I want it to print out on 40" x 22" poster with good quality! (muahaha!)

Again, thanks much for the comments, guys. I really appreciate the ideas and will implement them into future maps.

-george

Guild Journeyer

Well done George! I really like your fields! Are they a CC3 fill style or something? I also like your grass texture. Nice and not to showing. But the map could use a scale...Then again maybe not! Just my saying...

The fields are (as torstan noted) simply a steel floor texture with some color adjustments and a bit of transparency The grass texture is actually the default overland filler for CC3, and I agree: it's simple and effective, I love it!

As for the scale, I honestly thought about it but decided against it. The problem really being that things really aren't enough to a real scale for my liking. My next version of this map should be to scale though.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast