Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Practice castle

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

OK first floor is done, pending any further landscaping (which I'll probably tinker with before getting up the gumption to tackle the other floors). Whoops, forgot some doors on the right side outer wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2a.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	19377  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It is looking really amazing. The lighting is just incredible and the texturing is sweet. Pro quality stuff!

If I had one complaint (and I don't, really) it'd be that it's too regular. I'm sure you'll probably take care of some of that when you finalize it but I'd just suggest maybe putting a chair or two askew and flipping up the corner of a rug or something. Give it some life, IMHO.
    M

Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

WOW! I am very humbled by your castle. I'm just starting out as a Cartographer, and I hope to do even half this good someday.

Most REP worthy.
    _________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.

Very nice.. I do have to agree with Mearrin, there needs to be a bit more chaos IMO. In the barracks, there are a group of 8(2 by 4 rooms) that are perfectly aligned and some how, that just feels wrong to me. Also, while I like the carpets as a whole, I would love to see more variation in them, both in color and weaved design.

I LOVE the gardens you got going on.... those are simply superb!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I completely agree with you all about the rigid orderly look. But since turning things and adding in a bit of chaos will require me to do all of that manually and take a really long time I have chosen to forego it. At least for now since this is just practice. I still have 2 upper layers and 2 basement layers to go and my steam is running pretty low as you can imagine. Doing all of that would certainly give it that "lived-in" look I'm just not too excited about actually doing it
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Blog Entries

Well if you do it or not this thing looks great.

The only thing I wonder about is where exactly are your big lights on the walls coming from? At first I thought where the walls extended out slightly denoted windows but that is obviously not the case. So what is providing the lights? Are there sconces hidden by an overhang or something?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Oh you're right, I put in the torch light but forgot the torches. Dang.

Blog Entries

Heh. Well I'd hardly even noticed that the torches were missing. I saw the little lights on the walls and they looked ok.
    But now that you have said that I've suddenly realised where the bigger lights are coming from and the small outcrops into the rooms...

They are fireplaces.

D'oh!
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Absolutely amazing, i am in Awe of your talent , i have been trying to do a dungeon and i am to humbled by this.

repped mate on a awesome job

Guild Novice

Stunning - absolutely stunning!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast