Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inside a Library

Guild Apprentice

Wip Inside a Library

I've started work on a library, this'll be used on maptool, so it has no grid built into it. I've been using the random rotate script (thanks RobA!) for a lot of the little parts, like how the chairs are arranged.

Since I knew I wanted my bookcases to be brown, I really didn't want to use a brown wood floor, so I used this kinda grayish one. Not sure I like it. I'm considering looking into more of a carpeted texture, but this will be used in a game with a medieval setting, and I'm not really sure how commonplace carpeting was.

I don't really like the bookcases, they're on their own layer right now called "stacks" so I can easily delete just them and replace them with something else, but I'm not finding any top-down bookcases that I like so I may have to just live with them.

There's a trapdoor under the table in the top-right conference room that leads to the basement of the library, where they keep the secure books that nobody is supposed to know about or read. I haven't made that level yet, when I do I'll post it in here.

I've tried to be really good about keeping everything in layers so I can edit single parts without trashing the whole image, so feel free to criticize any part of it. I have a gimp .xcf version that saves the layers that right now is exactly the same as this exported .png, so I can edit it.

Also, doors will be placed in maptool so I can edit them in-game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Library Level 1.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	6766  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xv43 View Post
    I don't really like the bookcases, they're on their own layer right now called "stacks" so I can easily delete just them and replace them with something else, but I'm not finding any top-down bookcases that I like so I may have to just live with them.
    Find?? FIND?!? ... sounds like a pretty good reason to start making your own, wouldn't you say?
    I've got faith in ya, go make some bookcases!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Find?? FIND?!? ... sounds like a pretty good reason to start making your own, wouldn't you say?
    I've got faith in ya, go make some bookcases!
    I tried, but wasn't liking my results... mostly I couldn't figure out how to get realistic books onto them.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I've used Xara Xtreme and RealDraw Pro with some success on making PNG objects to place into maps... you might check those out... both are sweet programs....

Guild Apprentice

Okay, here's what I'm attempting to do, and I need suggestions.
    I've created a bookshelf in two parts - one part for the base, another part for the top. Then I've created some simple book images, I'm planning to scale them to slightly different sizes and place them at slightly different depths over the base of the shelf, then pull the top of the shelf over it so that mostly only the spines show, maybe a little pages. I'm hoping through doing this to create an image of books on the shelves.

I'm trying to think of a way to make the books look better. Right now they're just stock one color spine, white interior. I can't get fine enough lines on the inside to really look like pages... I think I need some kind of texture or noise, but can't think of what.

I'm attaching the shelf images and the stock book image to see what I'm talking about, any suggestions on how to make the books look more real would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

often the top shelves of bookcases are open for oversized items and non traditional books. I would suggest a smattering of different sized books, some scrolls, stacks of bound loose papers, and different bookends as well. I like where this is going
    Something witty and pithy

Guild Apprentice

It occurred to me that I have a digital camera and some green construction paper, so I grabbed some books off the shelf and placed them over the paper, then turned the green transparent (had to hand-touch up a few things because one of the covers was green... whoops!)

I didn't work through the entire shelf, but how does this look to others?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Guild Apprentice

Three different bookcases, can't decide which I like best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Library 2.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	6781  

I recently just had a run in with some bookshelves for a map I was working on for my game. I came to the conclusion that bookshelves are only really interesting from the side. My solution? just place books/scrolls randomly "on top of the book shelf". It isn't very accurate in terms of how they actually work, but it makes it 1) clear what they are and 2) interesting to look at.

Those look like they might be from the Dundjinni's forums (I love that place too!) Try searching for "book" or "bookshelf" or "bookshelves". I found some ones I liked over there.

On carpet: I think most older libraries had patterned marble floors. Think Indian Jones and the Last Crusade. "'X' marks the spot..."

Guild Apprentice

The middle set of bookshelves are from the dundjinni forums, the outer two I made myself... the books are actually digital photos of books I own. You may be right about just putting stuff on top and leaving it at that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
    On carpet: I think most older libraries had patterned marble floors. Think Indian Jones and the Last Crusade. "'X' marks the spot..."
    Marble seems better than carpet... I'll probably have to run a few test floors and see what comes up, but it hadn't even occurred to me before... thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast